Veterans & Service Members

U.S. Military Educational Benefits

The Departments of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Defense offer several benefits to service members, veterans and dependents to cover all or part of their educational expenses. If you are a current or prospective student at CWRU, please visit for information on the services provided by the Office of the University Registrar, which serves as the point of contact for veterans and their dependents.

Veterans may use GI Bill® benefits to cover all or part of their educational expenses. For information on tuition and fees, please see Housing and meal plan rates may be found at  For the comprehensive cost of attendance for the undergraduate programs, including direct charges and allowances for other educational expenses, please see Our experts can help explain how to apply for your benefits, describe different financial programs and discuss which benefit may be the best fit for you. If you are interested in using your GI Bill® benefits, please contact, phone: 216.368.4310.

In addition to funding provided by the Departments of Defense and Veterans’ Affairs, students may also qualify for funding from the U.S. Department of Education, state of residence, and institutional sources. Please see for the types of funding available.  The FAFSA is required for Federal and state funding and should be submitted by March 1 for the upcoming academic year.  The CSS Profile is required for institutional funding and should be completed by March 1 for the upcoming academic year. Please see for the application instructions.

CWRU is a partner in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Yellow Ribbon program for qualifying veterans and their dependents. Learn more about our sponsorship by academic program.

Entering first year and transfer students will receive the College Financing Plan prior to enrolling in their first term of study. The College Financing Plan is a consumer tool that participating institutions use to notify students about their financial aid package. It is a standardized form that is designed to simplify the information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so that they can easily compare institutions and make informed decisions about where to attend school.

Effective August 1, 2020, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Benefits Administration, has updated its guidance for the acceptable use of student veteran benefits for study abroad. These benefits may be used for costs associated with faculty-led study abroad programs where the home institution teaches all the courses and bills the student for the tuition assessed or if the student directly enrolls with a host institution that is an eligible institution in the VA system and receives the VA funding directly. Exchange programs and enrollment through program providers are not deemed eligible for use of VA educational benefits.

Nancy Issa is the designated financial aid advisor for veterans and active military personnel. She can be contacted at 216.368.4530 or