Types of Financial Assistance for Graduate Students

How Loans Work

Get more information on loan acceptance, types of loans and loan repayment for CWRU graduate students. 

There are several types of financial assistance available to Case Western Reserve University graduate and professional students, including U.S. military service members and their dependents.

Departmental Assistance

Graduate and professional students should contact their individual professional school or graduate department for information and application materials for institutional grant assistance, stipends and assistantships.

The graduate department or professional school's financial aid office must complete a Memorandum of Assistance (MOA) before determination of loan eligibility can be made. Students enrolled in the School of Dental Medicine are exempt from submitting an MOA.


Loans must be repaid. They may be government-sponsored low-interest loans or regular bank loans at a reduced interest rate. On some loans, interest may not start to accrue until after graduation. On others, interest accrues immediately. Loans may be based on demonstrated financial need. Learn more about applying for loans.


U.S. Military Educational Benefits

The Departments of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Defense offer several benefits to service members, veterans and dependents to cover all or part of their educational expenses. If you are a current or prospective student at CWRU, please visit http://case.edu/registrar/forms-services/veterans/ for information on the services provided by the Office of the University Registrar, which serves as the point of contact for veterans and their dependents.

Veterans may use GI Bill® benefits to cover all or part of their educational expenses. Our experts can help explain how to apply for your benefits, describe different financial programs and discuss which benefit may be the best fit for you. If you are interested in using your GI Bill® benefits, please contact vabenefits@case.edu, phone: 216.368.4310.

CWRU is a partner in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Yellow Ribbon program for qualifying veterans and their dependents. Learn more about our sponsorship by academic program.