A dependent is defined as spouse and/or unmarried children aged of 21 or younger. Most student interns do not bring dependents with them.

J-1 dependents are eligible for J-2 status. The J-2 Form DS-2019 can be issued once evidence of sufficient funding for their expected living expenses ($500/month) and required health insurance is provided. Each J-2 dependent will have his or her own Form DS-2019 with a SEVIS number. J-2 visa holders do not have to pay the SEVIS fee. All Forms DS-2019 should be signed by the J-1 visa holder.

Each J-2 dependent may accompany or follow to join the J-1 student intern in the United States and remain here while the J-1 student intern maintains status here. All J-2 dependents are required to comply with applicable federal regulatory requirements, such as maintaining required health insurance.

To request a Form DS-2019 for accompanying dependent(s), please indicate this in the Terra Dotta J-1 intern application.

Maintaining J-2 Status

J-2 dependents may study part time or full time in the United States while the J-1 student intern maintains status in the United States.

Employment Permission

J-2 visa holders may apply for work permission with USCIS once they arrive in the U.S. To apply for work permission, please refer to applying for employment authorization as a dependent.

J-2 Travel Abroad and Reentry

J-2 requirements are similar to those of J-1 students. For information on travel, visit the travel requirements section under Student Responsibilities.