A dependent is defined as a spouse and/or unmarried children aged of 21 or younger. Most student interns do not bring dependents with them.

J-1 dependents are eligible for J-2 status. The J-2 Form DS-2019 can be issued once evidence of sufficient funding for their expected living expenses ($500/month) and required health insurance is provided. Each J-2 dependent will have his or her own Form DS-2019 with a SEVIS number. J-2 visa holders do not have to pay the SEVIS fee. All Forms DS-2019 should be signed by the J-1 visa holder.

Each J-2 dependent may accompany or follow to join the J-1 student intern in the United States and remain here while the J-1 student intern maintains status here. All J-2 dependents are required to comply with applicable federal regulatory requirements, such as maintaining required health insurance.

To request a Form DS-2019 for accompanying dependent(s), please indicate this in the Terra Dotta J-1 intern application.

Maintaining J-2 Status

J-2 dependents may study part-time or full-time in the United States while the J-1 student intern maintains status in the United States.

Employment Permission

J-2 visa holders may apply for work permission with USCIS once they arrive in the U.S. To apply for work permission, please refer to the webpage we have about bringing family to the United States and the specific section about employment authorization.

J-2 Travel Abroad and Reentry

J-2 requirements are similar to those of J-1 students. For information on travel, visit the travel requirements section under Student Responsibilities.