The Provost Scholars are selected through a rigorous process which includes the teachers and principals at East Cleveland City Schools selecting students with a commitment to academic excellence, self-discipline, and strong character.
Planning for admission to the Provost Scholars Program at Case Western Reserve University and the East Cleveland City Schools (ECCS) is a multistage process that begins with administrative and faculty referrals. It is designed to ensure that the individuals who will be admitted to this program will be able to fully benefit from its every aspect. The admission requirements are aligned with the mission and goals of the Provost Scholars Program and its policies and procedures.
To be eligible for the program, the student must:
- Be in the enrolled at Heritage Middle School or Shaw High School and is currently in 8 through 10th grades, or will be in 8th grade in the 2019-2020 school year
- Have a record of excellent school attendance and punctuality
- Have a 2.5 minimum overall grade point average (GPA)
- Have the capacity to self-regulate and control behaviors
- Be a volunteer in a school/community program or have specific plans for volunteering
- Have two outstanding recommendations from school administrators or teachers in the ECCS.
All prospective applicants must also submit a Student Application that includes a 500-600 word essay, a completed Provost Scholars Profile, and signed Parent and Provost Scholars agreements. These materials must be completed and submitted electronically on or before Friday, May 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM.