Research Associate – Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research & Education
The Research Associate will work as part of a Data Team consisting of representatives from the Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research and Education at Case Western Reserve University (Begun), the City of Cleveland (City) and the Cleveland Division of Police (CDP). The person who fills this position will be responsible for a wide array of data management activities including data collection, data cleaning, analysis and dissemination as they relate to the CDP requirements in their Settlement Agreement with the US Department of Justice (DOJ).
These activities will include compiling and analyzing large databases of secondary data supplied by the City and CDP related to areas including officer use of force, stop, search and arrest data, community and problem-oriented policing, recruitment and training. A second core requirement will be working closely with the Data Team including the City’s Data Collection & Analysis Coordinator, Crime Analysts, City IT staff, CDP command staff, and the Begun Center team. The ideal candidate will possess experience necessary to engage all phases of research with an emphasis on law enforcement data workflow, quality control, statistical analysis and dissemination to multiple internal and external audiences including CDP command staff and officers, City officials, the DOJ Monitoring team, and the public.
The individual who fills this position will:
- build and maintain relational databases
- run queries and create tables and populate existing tables with new data
- develop databases/spreadsheets
- carry-out on-going and new statistical analyses using SPSS or similar statistical analysis software.
- be responsible for additional analyses as needed by the Begun Center, Data Collection & Analysis Coordinator, CDP command staff, DOJ, and other key stakeholders
- develop GIS databases and maps
- prepare internal data briefs and reports, comprehensive topical reports required by the Settlement Agreement, external data briefs for public consumption, and other reports as requested by the Begun Center, the Data Collection & Analysis Coordinator, CDP, the City and the DOJ
- collect and manage data using online survey technology and paper-based data collection tools
- may also provide support on other assigned Begun Center projects
The ideal candidate will:
- have a Master’s Degree in social sciences such as criminology, sociology, social work, psychology or relevant field
- have three or more years of relevant experience including managing large datasets and project management with diverse teams
- be highly organized with strong quantitative, data management and data cleaning skills
- be able to work collaboratively in a team environment with City information technology staff, CDP, other analysts, and Begun Center team members
- have experience in Microsoft Suite (Word, Access, Excel), email and internet applications
- have familiarity with applications or analytic supports such as SPSS, STATA and Data Query Languages
- be able to work with limited supervision while being highly self-motivated and self-directed
- have excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- demonstrate excellent presentation skills including development of charts and figures in PowerPoint presentations
- be able to maintain detailed records of time and work product for invoicing.
- candidates with prior experience working with law enforcement and/or prior mapping experience, preferred
General working conditions. May be required to occasionally attend an evening or weekend meeting. May be required to work several days a week stationed at the Northeast Ohio Regional Fusion Center, located in the Cuyahoga County Justice Center.
Please submit a cover letter and resume/CV to Kristen Boyer, email@example.com. Deadline for applications is July 31, 2020.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
In line with the values of Case Western Reserve University and the Mandel School for Applied Social Sciences, the Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research and Education is committed to developing, fostering, and celebrating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect for our employees and partners. These values are critical to everything we do, including conducting and disseminating research to help find, promote, and support solutions that make our communities healthier and safer. We aspire to be a team representative of a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and free of discrimination.