- Grants Administrator (Department Administrator 1)
Working under limited supervision, the Department Administrator 1 will carry out day-to day administrative and financial functions for a unit of the Begun Center, including finance, assisting with several pre- and post-award duties including maintaining grant-funded budgets and expense accounts, managing departmental invoicing, coordinating several daily office tasks, and coordinating human resources activities. Function as a technical resource and advisor for the unit, exercising discretion and independent judgment.
For over twenty years, the Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research and Education’s 56 faculty, staff and students have carried out applied community-based research, evaluation, training, and technical assistance. Currently, the Begun Center manages over 60 funding awards totaling nearly $20 million. The Center serves as a research partner to local, state and national non-profit, foundation and government organizations and provides program evaluation; grant application assistance, training and technical assistance with evidence based practices.
- Monitor and verify expenditures; ensure compliance with university and sponsoring agency policies and procedures; prepare administrative reports for submission to sponsoring agencies. Ensure compliance with federal regulations as outlined in A-21, A10 and A133. Under the guidance of the Administrative Manager, maintain externally funded project records and coordinate communication with other collaborating centers within and outside the university. Manage department level invoicing for grant-funded projects. Conduct monthly financial reconciliation of grant-funded projects. (50%)
- Manage daily office functions for the unit including but not limited to scheduling meetings, travel, and seminar/conference registrations for unit staff; serving as liaison with University Technology for a unit of the Begun Center; ordering and purchasing supplies; receiving and processing product orders and payments and depositing funds; reconciling purchasing card transactions; creating requisitions and payment requests as needed; and assist with processing staff expense reports. Oversee space and facility utilization and administer a program of property management and accountability. (25%)
- Jointly with the administrative manager, prepare and maintain departmental budget by analyzing program plans on both a short- and long-range basis by considering past requirements and expenditures and present program plan. Perform needs assessments, make projections based on multiple items and variables, analyze budget variances and recommend courses of action. Prepare analytical reports and analyses. Assist with effort certification and year-end close. (10%)
- Support the center’s leadership team in implementing long- and short-term department strategy planning goals. Develop a work plan with key activities, deliverables, and milestones for individuals, program team or organizational unit. Provide the expected results or outputs form each key activity or strategic initiative. Report on milestones achieved. (5%)
- Assist with coordinating human resources activities within the department. At the request of the Administrative Manager, ensure all paperwork for the unit’s employment, terminations, and leaves of absence are processed correctly and in a timely manner. Provide orientation for all new staff and faculty in the Begun Center. Hire and supervise student workers as needed. (5%)
- Develop and implement department policies and procedures. Interpret school and university policies and procedures and ensure compliance by all staff. Communicate any changes to policies and procedures to appropriate staff to ensure implementation. (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned. (<1%)
Department: Daily contact with center and school staff and faculty to exchange information.
University: Contact with other university departments like research administration on a regular basis to exchange information.
External: Contact with travel and accommodation vendors to exchange information.
Students: Contact with students to exchange information.
This position has no direct supervision of staff employees.
Experience: 3 or more years administrative work experience required; experience in a university or non-profit setting preferred.
Education/Licensing: Associate’s degree required.
- Knowledge of financial spreadsheets and GAAP (general accepted accounting principles).
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills required, both oral and written.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent computer skills: ability to use financial spreadsheets, accounting software, PeopleSoft and financial system applications.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors and customers face to face.
General office environment. The employee will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard to type.
Visit employment.case.edu and search for Job ID 8822.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
In line with the values of Case Western Reserve University and the Mandel School for Applied Social Sciences, the Begun Center for Violence Prevention Research and Education is committed to developing, fostering, and celebrating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect for our employees and partners. These values are critical to everything we do, including conducting and disseminating research to help find, promote, and support solutions that make our communities healthier and safer. We aspire to be a team representative of a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and free of discrimination.