From its prominent position in the very center of Cleveland's University Circle, Thwing Center overlooks the campus of Case Western Reserve University and Euclid Avenue, once called "the most beautiful street in the world”. The facility was named for Charles Franklin Thwing, "Prexy Thwing" to generations of alumni and students-who was President of Western Reserve University from 1890 until 1921.
The design of Thwing Center incorporates two existing buildings, Thwing Hall and Hitchcock Hall, with a connecting structure, which included an atrium and campus bookstore (which has since been relocated to 11434 Uptown Ave). The architect was Don Hisaka, FAIA, known for his elegant modern architectural designs and whose work graces not only the Cleveland area but across the U.S. and abroad. Built originally as the Excelsior Club for men in 1913, Thwing Hall was acquired by the University in 1931 for use as a library, and later as a gathering place for students. Hitchcock Hall, of similar vintage, was originally a residence, later the home of Cathedral Latin School and Ursuline College for Women, and in recent decades the location of a variety of University programs. It was named for Henry Lawrence Hitchcock, President of Western Reserve College from 1855 until 1871.
The new Thwing Center provides improved and expanded space for programs, services, classes, and activities to meet the needs and interests of students, faculty, staff and other members of the University community.