The Daniel Lewis Ravin, MD Award honors an MD student or PhD Candidate in the School of Medicine at Case Western Reserve University who shows promise in the fields of occupational or environmental health to assist in professional development and research in said fields through the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health. Daniel Lewis Ravin, MD was a 1980 graduate of the CWRU School of Medicine who died tragically early in his career. The award honors his dedication to training the next generation of environmental and occupational health physicians and scientists.
Each year, 2-3 awards will be granted to trainees who are committed to furthering their training in environmental and occupational health. The $10,000 award supports (a) travel to a national conference focused on environmental and occupational health, additional training in these fields, and/or to support research (approximately $1,000) and (b) tuition or stipend support at CWRU School of Medicine (approximately $9,000). Awardees will create a budget for receiving the award and a training plan in consultation with a mentor from the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health.
To fulfill a commitment to occupational and environmental health, awardees will:
- Create a budget and training plan in consultation with a faculty mentor from the Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health
- Meet with faculty mentor at least twice over 12 months
- Fulfill all activities in approved training plan in the fields of occupational and environmental health
- Submit a summary of your experience for publication in the Swetland Scoop newsletter and present about the experience to Swetland Center faculty and staff.
- Application form including two (2) brief essays
- Describe your interest in the fields of occupational and environmental health (500 words)
- Describe how this award will advance your career in the fields of occupational and environmental health (500 words)
- Two (2) reference letters
- For MD students: one letter must be from Society Dean
- For PhD Candidates: one letter must be from your dissertation research advisor
- Curriculum vitae
For questions, please contact Karen B. Mulloy, DO, MSCH at email@example.com.
- Current MD student or PhD Candidate (successful completion of qualifying exam and dissertation proposal) in good standing at CWRU School of Medicine
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of occupational and environmental health
- Commitment to complete additional training and/or research in occupational and environmental health
- Application Opens: February 1, 2022
- Virtual Information Session: February 10, 2022, 4:00-5:00pm ET (Join here on Zoom!)
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2022 5:00pm ET
- Interviews with Top Candidates: March 15 - April 11, 2022
- Award Notification: April 15, 2022
- Award Start Date: July 1, 2022
- Award End Date: June 30, 2023