Jagdip Singh, PhD, is an internationally recognized scholar of organizational frontline effectiveness. Jagdip’s expertise involves designing, managing and sustaining effective and enduring customer connections at the frontlines of organizations.
Jagdip is twice recipient of the Weatherhead School of Management’s Research Recognition Award for outstanding contributions to research in 1997 and again in 2018. In 2019, Jagdip received the University’s Faculty Distinguished Research award, the highest honor for enduring and significant research impact. Also in 2019, Jagdip received the Lifetime Achievement award from the American Marketing Association’s SIG-Sales. In 1992, Jagdip received the Case Western Reserve University’s John S. Diekhoff award for excellence in graduate teaching, and the Excellence in Doctoral Teaching and Mentoring award in 2007 and again in 2017. Jagdip co-founded the interdisciplinary “Organizational Frontlines Research” initiative including an annual symposium (since 2015) sponsored by the Marketing Science Institute, Sheth Foundation and several leading Sales and Service centers. Dr Singh has received the “Excellence in Reviewing” awards from the Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Retailing, and the Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management. Jagdip serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Service Research (2021-Present), and serves on the review boards of the Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Retailing, and the Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management.
Initially Appointed: 1985
- Organizational Frontlines
- Marketing Analytics
- Research Methodology
By Appointment Only
- Organizational Frontlines Research: Studying and Enabling Effective Connections between Organizations and Consumers
Awards and Honors
- Academy of International Business, 2007 - Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Marketing, 2008 - Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Service Research, 2007 - Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of the Retailing, 2002 - Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1997 - Present
- Editorial Review Board Member, Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 1993 - Present
- Ozkok, O. , Singh, J. , Bell, S. , Lim, K.
Service Innovation from the Frontlines in Customer-Centric Organizations Handbook on Customer Centricity: Strategies for Building a Customer-Centric Organization
- Sanger, S. S., Singh, J.
Expertise and Innovation: An Experimental Study with Senior Executives in Marketing-Oriented Organizations American Marketing Association Proceedings
- Singh, J. , Nambisan, S. , Bridge, G. , Brock, J. (2021).
One-Voice Strategy for Customer Engagement (vol. 24, issue 1, pp. 42-65) Journal of Service Research
- Singh, S. , Marinova, D. , Singh, J. (2020).
B2B E-Negotiations and Influence Tactics (vol. 84, issue 2, pp. 47-68) Journal of Marketing
- Ozkok, O. , Bell, S. , Singh, J. , Lim, K. (2019).
Frontline Knowledge Networks in Open Collaboration Models for Service Innovation Academy of Marketing Science Review (available online)
- Singh, J. , Arnold, T. , Brady, M. , Brown, T. (2019).
Synergies at the Intersection of Retailing and Organizational Frontlines Research (vol. 95, issue 2, pp. 90-93) Journal of Retailing
- Singh, J. , Flaherty, K. , Sohi, R. , et, a. (2019).
Sales Profession and Professionals in the Age of Digitization and Artificial Technologies: Concepts, Priorities, and Questions (vol. 39, issue 1, pp. 2-22) Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management (available online)
- Singh, S. , Marinova, D. , Singh, J. , Evans, K. (2018).
Customer Query Handling in Sales Interactions: A Dynamic Analysis of Salesperson Effectiveness (vol. 46, issue 5, pp. 837-856) Journal of Academy of Marketing Science
- Marinova, D. , Singh, S. , Singh, J. (2018).
Frontline Problem Solving Effectiveness: A Dynamic Analysis of Verbal and Nonverbal Cues (vol. 55, issue 2, pp. 178-192) Chicago: Journal of Marketing Research (available online)
- Singh, J. , Brady, M. , Arnold, T. , Brown, T. (2017).
The Emergent Field of Organizational Frontlines (vol. 20, issue 1, pp. 3-11) Journal of Service Research
- Zhu, F. , Marinova, D. , Singh, J. (2015).
Quality-Efficiency Trade-offs in Service Organizations: A SFA-based Approach with Application in Health Care Services AMA Winter Educators Conference
- Marinova, D. , Singh, J. (2014).
Consumer Decision to Upgrade or Downgrade a Service Membership (vol. 42, pp. 596-618) Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Singh, J. (2013).
Stemming Frontline Losses in Service Innovation Implementation (vol. 30, issue 5, pp. 10-20) Marketing Review St Gallen
- Singh, J. , Jayanti, R. (2013).
When Institutional Work Backfires: Organizational Control of Professional Work in the Pharmaceutical Industry (vol. 50, issue 5, pp. 900-929) Journal of Management Studies, Special Issue Professions and Institutions
- Ye, J. , Marinova, D. , Singh, J. (2012).
Bottom-up Learning in Marketing Frontlines: Conceptualization, Processes, and Consequences (vol. 40, issue November, pp. 821-844) Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
- Singh, J. , Lentz, P. , Nijssen, E. (2011).
First and Second Order Effects of Consumers’ Institutional Logics on Relationship Marketing Mechanisms: A Cross-Market Comparative Analysis (vol. 42, issue 2, pp. 307-333) Journal of International Business Studies
- Jayanti, R. , Singh, J. (2010).
Pragmatic Learning Theory: An Inquiry-Action Framework for Distributive Consumer Learning in Online Communities (vol. 36 (April), pp. 1058-1081) Journal of Consumer Research
- Cardon, M. , Wincent, J. , Singh, J. , Drnovsek, M. (2009).
The Nature and Experience of Entrepreneurial Passion (vol. 34, issue 3, pp. 511-532) Academy of Management Review
- Marinova, D. , Ye, J. , Singh, J. (2008).
Do Frontline Mechanisms Matter? Impact of Quality and Productivity Orientations on Unit Revenue, Efficiency and Customer Satisfaction (vol. 72 (March), pp. 28-45) Journal of Marketing
- Ye, J. , Marinova, D. , Singh, J. (2007).
Strategic Change Implementation and Performance Loss in the Front Lines (vol. 71 (October), pp. 156-171) Journal of Marketing
- Cutler, L. , Silvers, J. , Singh, J. , Tsai, A. , Radcliffe, D. (2005).
Physician Decisions to Discontinue Long-Term Medications Using a Two Stage Framework: The Case of Growth Hormone Therapy (vol. 43, issue 12, pp. 1185-1193) Medical Care
- Cron, W. , Marshall, G. , Singh, J. , Spiro, R. , Sujan, H. (2005).
Salesperson Selection, Training and Development: Trends, Implications and Research Opportunities (vol. 25, issue 2, pp. 123-136) Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 25th Anniversary Issue
- Agustin, C. , Singh, J. (2005).
Curvilinear Effects of Consumer Loyalty Determinants in Relational Exchanges (vol. 42 (February), pp. 96-108) Journal of Marketing Research
- Singh, J. , Cuttler, L. , Silvers, J. (2004).
Toward Understanding Consumers' Role in Medical Decisions for Emerging Treatments: Issues, Framework, and Hypotheses (vol. 57, issue 9, pp. 1054-1065) Journal of Business Research
- Singh, J. University of Nebraska--Research Seminar Series, "Internal Self-Promotion and Marketing Boundary Spanners", University of Nebraska, (2021).
- Singh, J. MasterClass--SP Jain Institute of Management, "When Buyers and Sellers Negotiate Digitally", SP Jain Institute of Management, (2021).
- Singh, J. EMS 2020, "Challenges and Opportunities in a Doctoral Journey", EDBAC, (2020).
- Singh, J. American Marketing Association Winter Educators, "Frontlines and Frontiers in Health Care", Journal of Marketing, (2020).
- Singh, J. Organizational Frontlines Research, "Organizational Frontline Challenges of Maintaining One-Voice in the Age of Machines", American Marketing Association, (2020).