The Class of 2017 joined The Alumni Association on May 21!
The Class of 2017 officially joined The Alumni Association of Case Western Reserve University on Sunday, May 21. We wish them all the best on their next adventure and hope they will continue to think beyond the possible! (Photo credit: Dan Milner)
As the Class of 2017 Looks Ahead, We Look Back Through the University Archives
Archivists Jill Tatem (left) and Helen Conger offer a glimpse of the multitude of memories stockpiled by University Archives.
If Commencement season makes you wistful for the days of CWRU past, you might want to take an online walk down memory lane with a visit to CWRU's archives and enjoy the university history featured in their monthly blog, Recollections.
Recollections specific to commencement include:
- A timeline and overview of commencement exercises, beginning with Western Reserve College's first graduating class in 1830 (there were four).
- The evolution of diplomas over the years.
- The impressive roster of commencement speakers, including Nobel Peace Prize recipients Jane Adams and Elie Wiesel, literary legend James Langston Hughes and Frederick Douglass, former slave and noted abolitionist, whose address to the Western Reserve College Philozetian Society during commencement week in 1854 was attended by nearly 3,000 people.
Search for yourself through the digital commencement collection. Commencement programs are a popular source of biographical information and University Archives is working to have them all available online. If you can't find a program, email email@example.com for access.
Didn't know there is an archive collection? You might find these facts interesting...The university archives collection:
- documents 278 years of university life, including academics, facilities, finance, governance, public relations, research and student and alumni services
- contains 27.7 million documents (totaling approximately 26,044,000 pages), 500,000 photos, and over 900 audio and video recordings
- weighs 450,000 pounds
- stacks 1.8 miles high
- occupies 6,100 square feet of storage
- lives in Room 20 of the BioEnterprise building at 11000 Cedar Avenue
Sometimes it's okay to live in the past!
Search your favorite historical topic
Deadline Nears for Alumni Award Nominations...
Don't miss the chance to recognize outstanding, notable and accomplished alumni and friends of Case Western Reserve University. Nominations must be received by May 30 to be considered for this year. Nominate today
Every Gift - In Any Amount - Makes a Difference
Day of Giving is Wednesday, June 14. In its 5th year at Case Western Reserve University, CWRU ALL IN, our annual, 24-hour, online fundraising drive, encourages our community to make a tax-deductible gift of any amount to a campus cause that is meaningful to them. This year, our goal is to top last year's one-day giving record of 1,112 donors. More All [in] Info
Want to Help?
Volunteers can promote CWRU ALL IN during Day of Giving on social media, using #CWRUALLIN to spread the excitement. You can also sign up to be an Advocate on our fundraising page and challenge your friends and fellow alumni to support your alma mater! The Advocate generating the most donors receives a $100 Visa® gift card. Help with All [in]
Campus Updates...All the News That's Fit to Link
Catch Us if You Can ...
View the University and Alumni Relations Events Calendar for more upcoming events on campus and around the country.