Short-Term Faculty-Led Programs

Budgeting for Short-Term Faculty-Led Programs

  • Students register for the study abroad course at CWRU, and pay tuition and a program fee to CWRU. Program fees and the items they cover vary by program.
  • Federal financial aid can be used for tuition, program fees, and other course-related expenses.
  • Students are responsible for paying any additional expenses themselves (travel, souvenirs, etc.).
  • It is very important to budget appropriately for study abroad. While there are many free budget spreadsheets available online, the Office of Education Abroad (OEA) prefers this Google sheet.

Money Matters

The Office of Education Abroad has a few quick tips we have for financial security.

  • Call bank(s) and credit card companies before departing.
    • Find out what their international transaction fees are and if they have student accounts for international travel
    • Have phone numbers and account numbers for banks/credit cards somewhere safe (i.e. not with the cards!)
  • Carry some U.S. currency in case of emergency
  • Obtain some foreign currency before departing, if possible
  • Traveler’s checks are NOT recommended. Many retailers overseas no longer accept them.

How to Find Funding

  • Additional need may be met with Parent PLUS or private loans for undergraduate students and Graduate PLUS loans for graduate/professional students.
  • For questions on federal financial aid, contact Nancy Issa.
  • Most study abroad scholarships are not available to students participating on short-term programs, however students can still get creative in funding study abroad experiences.
    • Consider crowdfunding platforms to raise funds
    • CWRU departments may have grants or other sources of funding available for students participating in a short-term program
    • Connect with a study abroad advisor to learn more about other resources