International Travel Registration for Faculty & Staff

Faculty and staff of Case Western Reserve University are required to register their university-related international travel with the Center for International Affairs, including international travel while on sabbatical for the purpose of research.

As a part of this registration, Case Western Reserve may collect a general itinerary, contact information while abroad, and passport information. Employees will also have access to electronic risk management resources through this registration.

The registration is not for the approval of travel or to provide travel arrangements, but rather to provide the university with travel information so that it can offer pre-travel resources and respond in the event of an emergency.

Travel approval is granted on the supervisor/departmental/dean level following established departmental and university procedures.

Because each of the schools and the college have different needs regarding faculty and staff international travel, we have developed unique travel registration links.

Faculty or staff traveling with students should also review the unique expectations the university has for traveling with students, which can be found below. 

Students can find more resources here. 

International Travel Registration Links

School-Specific Links

More registration links for individual schools and the college will be available soon. In the meantime, please use the general registration link below.

University General Link

Information on Traveling with Others

Faculty and staff frequently travel abroad with students on study abroad programs, to conduct research, to attend conferences and meetings, to conduct field studies, etc. Case Western Reserve encourages employees to include students in their international engagements, but recognizes that taking a leadership role when traveling with students requires employees to adhere to a higher standard of awareness and care in regards to risk than when traveling alone or simply in conjunction with students.

Examples of faculty or staff traveling with students include, but are not limited to:

  • Study abroad programs
  • Traveling with an undergraduate or graduate research, internship, or service-learning student or students
  • Arranging transportation, hotel, or other logistics for the student(s), and taking a leadership role in the travel or experience

Faculty or staff traveling internationally with Case Western Reserve students are expected to:

  • Attend a mandatory risk management training on traveling with students offered frequently by the Center for International Affairs
    • This training is valid for two years and then must be retaken
  • Register their travel (and have the students register their travel) with the Office of Education Abroad
  • Provide the Office of Education Abroad and the students with an in-country 24/7 emergency contact
  • Secure housing and in-country transportation (where appropriate) that is safe, reputable, and affordable
    • The Office of Education Abroad can assist in vetting housing and transportation options
  • Be available to the students throughout the entirety of the official travel
  • Avoid high-risk activities as a part of the official travel
  • Adhere to all university policies while on official travel
  • Provide a program itinerary as directed by the Center for International Affairs

Because all situations are unique, employees should contact the Center for International Affairs if they have questions. The Office of Education Abroad has created a faculty-led study abroad handbook that includes more information on securing housing and travel, on high-risk activities, and on other best practices when traveling with students abroad. Employees are encouraged to refer to this handbook as a resource. Significant deviation from best practices will be evaluated as necessary.

Case Western Reserve understands that employees may occasionally travel for business purposes with individuals who are not traveling on behalf of the university community, i.e., family, friends, or other non-Case Western Reserve colleagues.

Companions on international travel are not covered by the Case Western Reserve emergency international travel insurance policy, but are encouraged to purchase their own emergency international travel insurance while abroad. 


If you have any questions regarding the international travel policy or registration, please email the Center for International Affairs at