Kelvin Smith Library welcomes Case Western Reserve University faculty, staff, and students. Kelvin Smith Library patrons must show a valid CWRU ID card when asked to do so by library staff or campus security. The library reserves the right to restrict the access of any person who abuses the following:
- Using resources for any purpose which violates federal or state laws
- Using resources for unauthorized commercial purposes
- Using resources in a manner that is disrespectful or intimidating to others
- Engaging in behavior that disrupts the activities or safety of others
- Damaging or removing materials, furnishings, or any structure of the building
To provide a secure environment for all, library staff or Case Western Reserve Security are authorized to:
- Request current photo identification of any person in the library
- Question any person if it appears that this Policy or Case Western Reserve’s policies are being disregarded, and to call for other assistance if necessary
- Limit or revoke library privileges at any time if policies are disregarded
Persons who violate this policy may also be subject to disciplinary or legal actions.
Lost and Found Policy
The Kelvin Smith Library is not responsible for items left behind by patrons. Items left in the library may be turned into the lost and found at the Service Center desk. Patrons may inquire about lost items at the Service Center desk located on the main floor of the library. Items will be held until the end of the current semester. Unclaimed items will either be donated to a local charity or disposed of. All hazardous or perishable items will be discarded immediately.
Items determined to be of value (i.e. wallets, cell phones, lost Case ID’s, passports, etc.) will be turned over to University Police at the end of each day.
Collection Principles and Policies
The Kelvin Smith Library has a series of policies, principles, and values that guides the maintenance and additions to the physical and online collections.