Personal Librarians (PLs) are assigned to first-year incoming undergraduate students. PLs teach about the policies, resources, and services available through the library, and will assist in research needs.
Research Services Librarians (RSLs) manage the collections, assist in research, and teach how to use the resources. RSLs are assigned to specific academic departments, and thus can support more challenging research needs unique to each area of study.
In partnership with the navigators, each first-year student is matched with a Personal Librarian (PL), who is dedicated to student research success. For example, a PL can help students identify the best resources for their information needs and connect with library experts in different subject areas.
How can my Personal Librarian help me?
- Guide you through library services
- Keep you informed about resources and programs
- Answer questions about library policies and procedures
- Provide research assistance
- Develop search strategies
- Refer you to other campus departments as needed
- Schedule virtual meetings throughout the year
Things we can offer referrals for but not directly do:
- Make photocopies. The library does have scanners you can use.
- Set-up computer accounts or software. We can guide you to UTech assistance.
- Do your research or write/edit your paper. We can help find sources and talk through the research process. We can refer you to people in the Writing Center.
- Replace advising roles of any other department on campus.
Research Services Librarians
Research Services Librarians (RSLs) are assigned to each academic department from the Case School of Engineering, the College of Arts & Sciences, and the Weatherhead School of Management. Research centers or other offices on campus may have an assigned librarian. Each librarian has background and expertise in the departments they serve.
Examples of how librarians can assist include:
- Finding a specific resource, item, or information
- Effectively using an item, resource, or service
- Narrowing down a topic
- Citing sources
- Organizing a research strategy
- Providing alternatives to a research process
Find the contact information for your Research Services Librarian or use the Research Guide created for your area of research.
Our current Personal Librarians:
- Walk-in assistance at the Kelvin Smith Library Service Desk
- Contact your Research Services Librarian for subject specialized consultation
- Contact a member of the Freedman Center for Digital Scholarship Team for technology, data, and software
- First-year students can contact their Personal Librarian
- Request a research appointment (in person, by phone, or over Zoom)
- Dial: (216) 368-3506
- Text Message: (216) 220-8261
- We respond in less than 2 business days; may be longer during University closings
- Live Chat: Use the chat box on this page to connect with a librarian online
- Hours: 9am-5pm Monday through Friday (except holidays)
- Search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and submit your question