or browse the Catalog, Databases, or E-Journals directly

Personal and Research Librarians for Students

Personal Librarians (PLs) are assigned to first-year incoming undergraduate students. PLs teach about the policies, resources, and services available through the library, and will assist in research needs.

Research Services Librarians (RSLs) manage the collections, assist in research, and teach how to use the resources. RSLs are assigned to specific academic departments, and thus can support more challenging research needs unique to each area of study.

Personal Librarians

In partnership with the navigators, each first-year student is matched with a Personal Librarian (PL), who is dedicated to student research success.  For example, a PL can help students identify the best resources for their information needs and connect with library experts in different subject areas. 

How can my Personal Librarian help me?

  • Guide you through library services
  • Keep you informed about resources and programs
  • Answer questions about library policies and procedures
  • Provide research assistance
  • Develop search strategies
  • Refer you to other campus departments as needed
  • Schedule virtual meetings throughout the year

Things we can offer referrals for but not directly do:

  • Make photocopies. The library does have scanners you can use.
  • Set-up computer accounts or software. We can guide you to UTech assistance.
  • Do your research or write/edit your paper. We can help find sources and talk through the research process. We can refer you to people in the Writing Center.
  • Replace advising roles of any other department on campus.

Research Services Librarians

Research Services Librarians (RSLs) are assigned to each academic department from the Case School of Engineering, the College of Arts & Sciences, and the Weatherhead School of Management. Research centers or other offices on campus may have an assigned librarian. Each librarian has background and expertise in the departments they serve.

Examples of how librarians can assist include:

  • Finding a specific resource, item, or information
  • Effectively using an item, resource, or service
  • Narrowing down a topic
  • Citing sources
  • Organizing a research strategy
  • Providing alternatives to a research process

Find the contact information for your Research Services Librarian or use the Research Guide created for your area of research.

Our current Personal Librarians:

Mark Eddy in the library atrium

Mark Eddy

Research Services


Phone: 216.368.5457

Jacey Kepich in the library atrium

Jacey Kepich

Research Services


Phone: 216.368.6676

Evan Meszaros in the library atrium

Evan Meszaros

Research Services


Phone: 216.368.3509

Karen Oye's Headshot

Karen Oye

Research Services


Phone: 216.368.5309

Erin Smith in the library atrium

Erin Smith

Research Services


Phone: 216.368.5407

Daniella Solomon in the library atrium

Daniela Solomon

Research Services


Phone: 216.368.8790

Jen Starkey in the library atrium

Jennifer Starkey

Team Leader
Research Services


Phone: 216.368.6511


In-Person Consultation:


  • Dial: (216) 368-3506
  • Text Message: (216) 220-8261


  • We respond in less than 2 business days; may be longer during University closings


  • Live Chat: Use the chat box on this page to connect with a librarian online
  • Hours: 9am-5pm Monday through Friday (except holidays)
  • Search the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and submit your question

Report a Problem