Discover recent publications and accolades from medical educators in Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine’s Center for Medical Education.
- Block 4 co-leader, Dr. Jason Mears, is receiving the Diekhoff Award for Graduate Teaching and Mentoring
- Block 1 co-leader, Dr. Karen Mulloy is the 2022 recipient of the F. Marian Bishop Educator Award, a national recognition from the Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR)
- Yepes-Rios M, Lad S, Samyukta D, Baffoe-Bonnie H, Thapliyal M, Isaacson JH. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: One Model to move from Commitment to Action in Medical Education. SN Social Sciences 2023;3(3):61.
- Karpinski AC, LaRochelle JM, Qua K, Memis R. A Rasch Analysis of Three Socialization and Communication Measures in 4th-year Doctor of Pharmacy Students Education for Health (2022) 35(2): 45-58. May-August 2022
- Croniger CM, Qua K, Rowland-Seymour A, Podugu P, Laseter JR, Linz MO, Wilson-Delfosse A. Preparing Students to Deliver Care to Diverse Populations. Medical Science Educator (2022) 32:1285-1288.
- Gielissen K, Logio L, Qua K, Hemmer P. Consequence in Competency-Based Education: Individualize, but Do Not Compromise. J Gen Intern Med 37(9):2146-8
- Olvet DM, Bird JB, Fulton TB, Kruidering M, Papp KK, Qua, K. A Multi-institutional Study of the Feasibility and Reliability of the Implementation of Constructed
Response Exam Questions. Teach Learn Med 2022 Aug 20;1-14.
- Omoijuanfo EO, Williams JT, Qua K, Cullen J, Trap E, Owusu C, Junk DJ, Berger NA. Disparities Education Strategies in the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center STEM-Focused Youth Enjoy Science Program. Journal of STEM Outreach 2022 August 5(2).
- Xiong W, Singh S, Wilson-Delfosse A, Jones R, Nielsen C, Chalkley C, Logio L. “Flipped” clinical rotations; A novel approach. Clinical Teacher July 2022
- Whelan G, Lopez D, Kojima L, Dore S, Lad S, Tucker D, Abramczyk E,Mehkri O, Han X, Wang X, Yepes-Rios M, Duggal A. Critical Care Among Disadvantaged Minority Groups Made Equitable: Trends Throughout the COVID-19 Pandemic, Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 2022 Feb 4.
- Harris SR, Mordarski B, Wolff J, Croniger CM. Teaching the Nutrition Focused Physical Exam (NFPE) to Medical Students Using an Interdisciplinary Approach. Medical Science Educator (2022) 32:9;9-11.
- Qua K, Gullett H, Wilson-Delfosse A, Thomas P, Singh M. Early Medical Students’ Experiences as System Navigators: Results of a Qualitative Study. J Gen Intern Med 2022. 37(5):1155–60
- Thom ML, Kimble BA, Qua K, Wish-Baratz S. Is remote near-peer anatomy teaching an effective teaching strategy? Lessons learned from the transition to online learning
during the Covid-19 pandemic. Anat Sci Educ. 2021;14:552–561.
- Qua K, Swiatkowski SM, Gurkan UA, Pelfrey CM. A retrospective case study of successful translational research: Gazelle Hb variant point-of-care diagnostic device for sickle cell disease. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science 5: e207, 1–8.
- Qua K, Haider R, Junk DJ, Berger NA. Sustaining Student Engagement – Successes and Challenges of a Virtual STEM Program for High School Students. J STEM Outreach. 2021 August; 4(3).
- Qua K, Yu F, Patel T, Dave G. Cornelius K, Pelfrey CM. Scholarly Productivity Evaluation of KL2 Scholars Using Bibliometrics and Federal Follow-on Funding: Cross-Institution Study. J Med Internet Res 2021. 23:9l e29239, p. 1
- Olvet DM, Bird JB, Fulton TB, Kruidering M, Papp KK, Qua K, Willey JM, Brenner JM. Can Content Experts Rely on Others to Reliably Score Open-Ended Questions on
Summative Exams? Acad Med. 2021 96(11S);S210
- Deming NM, Singer ML, Baratz G, Wish-Baratz S. Matriculating Students’ Opinions on Cadaveric Dissection: Maintaining Tradition in Changing Times. Medical Science Educator, 10 Nov 2020, 31(1):41-44
- Nelson T, Engberg A, Smalheer M, Murphy B, Csank J, Rowland-Seymour A, Noeller T. Integrating First Responder Hands-on Training into Medical School Curricula—a Perspective from Medical Students. Med.Sci.Educ.(2020) 30; 1729–1730.
- Qua K, Papp KK, Junk DJ, Hooper MW, Berger NA. Youth Enjoy Science Program at the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center: Increasing Engagement and Opportunity for Underrepresented Minority Students. Ethnicity & Disease (2020) 30(1);15-24.
- Qua K, Pinkard O, Kundracik EC. Ramirez-Bergeron D, Berger NA. Near Peer Mentors to Address Socio-Emotional Issues Among Underrepresented Minority High School Students in Research Intensive STEM Programs: Perceptions of Students and Mentors. J STEM Outreach. 2020; 3(1):1-8.
- Wish-Baratz S, Jones B, Navracruz LC, Rowland-Seymour A, Herrmann KA. GARLA: Integrating Traditional and Modern Methodologies in Anatomy Education. Med Sci Educ (2020) 30;1727-1728.
- Rowland-Seymour A, Mann D, Singh MK et al. Identification of Health Systems Science in a Problem-Based Learning Clinical Reasoning Exercise. Med.Sci.Educ (2022) 32; 51-55.
- Fall LH, English R, Fulton TB, Harris DM, Ngo K. Nixon J. Hembrook-Short J, Wilson-Delfosse AL. Thinking Slow More Quickly: Development of Integrated Illness Scripts to Support Cognitively Integrated Learning and Improve Clinical
Decision-Making. Medical Science Educator (2021) 31:1005–1007https://doi.org/10.1007/s40670-021-01293-z
- Singh MK, Gullett HL, Thomas PA. Using Kern’s 6-Step Approach to Integrate Health Systems Science Curricula Into Medical Education Acad Med (2021) 96(9):1282-1290
- Thomas PA, Wilson-Delfosse AL, Mehta N, Papp KK, Bierer SB, Isaacson JH.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine including the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine. Acad Med 2020, 95(9S); S396-401https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000003411
- Auerbach L, Santen SA, Cutrer WB, Daniele M, Wilson-Delfosse AL, Roberts NK. The educators' experience: Learning environments that support the master adaptive learner. Medical Teacher 2020. 42(11):1270-1274.
- Papp KK, Altose MD, Wilson-Delfosse AL, Thomas PA. Scholarship in Teaching: An Approach to Enhancing the Value and Academic Standing of Teaching. Medical Science Educator (2020) 30:1585–1590
- Qua K, Pelfrey CM. Using bibliometrics to evaluate translational science training: evidence for early career success of KL2 scholars. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science 2020. 5: e24, 1–7.
- Margolius SW, Papp KK, Altose MD, Wilson-Delfosse AL. Students perceive skills learned in pre-clerkship PBL valuable in core clinical rotations. Medical Teacher 2020. 42(8):902-908.
- Baratz G, Wilson-Delfosse AL, Singelyn BM, Allan KC, Reith GE, Ratnaparkhi R, Jenks BP, Carlton C, Freeman BK, Wish-Baratz S. Evaluating the Anatomage Table Compared to Cadaveric Dissection as a Learning Modality for Gross Anatomy. Medical Science Educator (2019) 29:499–506
- Pusic MV, Santen SA, Dekhtyar M, Poncelet AN, Roberts AK, Wilson-Delfosse AL, Cutrer WB. Learning to balance efficiency and innovation for optimal adaptive expertise. Medical Teacher 2018. 40(8):820-827.
Books and Book Chapters
- Yepes-Rios M, Chavan M, Moncaliano M, Wilson-Delfosse A, Croniger C, Mauer Y, Lambrese J, Logio L. Curiosity, Humility, and Accountability Key Elements to Advance a Culture of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Health Professions Education, in Cases on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the Health Professions Educator, IGI Global, January 2023
- Honsky J, Rowland-Seymour A. Integrating Interprofessional Education into Public Health Clinical Settings. Strategies in Teaching Nursing: Exemplars of Optimal Learning edited by Alfes and Ea. Springer Publisher. April, 2020.
- Wilson-Delfosse, AL. and Fall, LH. (2019) How will the master adaptive learner process work in the classroom? The Master Adaptive Learner: The AMA MedEd Innovation Series. William Cutrer, Martin Pusic et al., editors. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA
- Higinbotham A, Xiong W. “The 6 Rs for Residency Rotation Success: Practical Tips, Tricks, and Templates” Blog, Nov. 2022.
- Patterson W, Greene B, Lambrese J, Yepes-Rios M. “I want to break free”: Integrating LGBTQ health competencies throughout the medical education continuum. National Collaborative for Education to Address Social Determinants of Health. Blog, Oct. 2022
- Campbell T, Namboodiri S, Yepes-Rios AM, Clarke A, Mulvilhill L, Kendall E, Gabriel Lopez-Reivera JG. Edited by Logio L. Power in Medicine: A Conversation about Microaggressions in Healthcare (ebook)