Thwing Center has many facilities to choose from, including a ballroom and various meeting rooms. Whatever event you have planned here, the Thwing Center staff is dedicated to helping you make it a success. Get started on the right foot by reviewing the following information, as well as our policies and procedures, before you make your Thwing Center reservation.
Group Meetings and Events
Rates and availability can vary depending on affiliation or type of event. Select your group/event type below to learn more.
Recognized undergraduate student organizations can use our facilities for free, including any AV equipment that is owned by Thwing Center. Space fills up fast, so be sure to make your reservations early. Students are permitted to make reservations for large-scale events up to one academic year in advance. Smaller events and regular meetings can be scheduled one semester in advance.
Departments may use most of our meeting rooms for free. Departments are charged for setups and cleanups of the larger spaces in Thwing. Departments follow the same reservation guidelines as students—one year in advance for large events and one semester in advance for business meetings. Our staff can help you with room diagrams for events, choosing the right caterer, and signage throughout the building.
Weddings can be reserved in the Thwing Ballroom only during summer months. Our facility is used too much during the academic year by students and departments to make it available for non-academic purposes. Alumni receive a special discount on our facilities. Please contact us to learn more.
Things to Consider Before Making a Reservation
The following guidelines are designed to assist student leaders with event planning, but may be helpful for others as well. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
Know Your Audience
Before you reserve a room and date for your event, decide in advance:
- Who is the target audience?
- Are there other events for the same audience at the same time?
- What are the goals and objectives of the event?
- Where is the best location?
Give Us the Facts
Before you make your reservation online, you will need the following information:
- Name of your group/organization
- The contact name of the officer/member who is helping plan the event
- Name and type of event
- Date(s) and time(s) of the event
- Estimated attendance.
- Browse our list of programming spaces an appropriate space.
- Alternate dates, times and locations in case your first choice is already taken
- Equipment, chairs, AV requirements, etc.
- Food service options, whether you need a banquet or served meal, a reception, breakfast, boxed lunch, munchies, beverages, etc.
When choosing a caterer, your selection must appear on the approved catering list. They must have on file a caterer’s license by the Ohio Department of Health and provide proof of a $1 million liability insurance policy.
Please note that Thwing Center does not provide table linens and covers.
Review Our Requirements
- Complete a space reservation request in the Spartan Reservation System (EMS).
- Upon receiving a confirmation notice, review it for accuracy (dates, times, names, requests, etc).
- Six weeks prior to the event, finalize the date, time and location.
- Delegate necessary tasks to members of your organization, such as publicity, logistics, food, speakers, decorations, evaluations, etc. Create effective signage for visitors.
- If you need to change some aspect of your event (i.e. food, AV equipment or setups), or if have any questions, call 216.368.2660 or email us.
- Thoroughly review our policies and procedures ahead of time.
- Plan ahead and be aware of holidays, major university events, and other important dates!