Lakshmi Bala, PhD, assistant professor of Banking and Finance joined Weatherhead School of Management in 2017. She earned her PhD and MS from Penn State University. She teaches graduate-level courses in Credit Risk Analytics, Capital Markets and Banking. Her undergraduate teaching areas include Financial Modeling, Advanced Analytics and Corporate Finance.
Prior to joining Case, Lakshmi was a Research Economist and Senior Quantitative Specialist in Banking Supervision and Regulation of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
Lakshmi is a co-founder of FinTechnova, LLC. She is an ardent supporter of female entrepreneurship and the representation of women in the field of Finance and Financial Analytics. Currently, she is a faculty advisor for Weatherhead Women in Business. She believes all women should strive to INSPIRE fellow women by Innovating, Networking, Supporting, Promoting, Informing, Reaching out, and encouraging Entrepreneurship among women. She is a frequent media contributor to Cleveland Channel News 5 on topics of financial literacy, access, and inclusivity of finance through better education and technology.
Initially Appointed: 2011
By Appointment Only
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Advisor, Women in Finance, 2021 - 2031
- Faculty Advisor Weatherhead Women in Business 2020
- Committee Member UGIS: Undergraduate Curriculum Committee 2019
- Balasubramanyan, L. , Berger, A. N., Koepke, M. (2017).
How do lead banks use their Private Information in the Syndicated Loan Market? Journal of Financial Stability
- Balasubramanyan, L. (Panelist/Discussant) AIRA- Annual Conference on Credit Risk and Loan Portfolio Quality Issues, "State of Banking Industry: where are we post-COVID?", Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA), Cleveland OH . (2022).
- Balasubramanyan, L. (Presenter & Author) NBER Summer Institute : Risks of Financial Institutions, "Causal Impact of Risk Oversight Functions on Bank Risk: Evidence from a Natural Experiment", National Bureau of Economic Research, Boston, MA. (2019).