Program Types

Want to study abroad, but unsure of the differences in cost and courses across the different program types? Read more about that here:

See the deadlines and more details about these program types here, then once you determine the length and style of program for which you’re looking, start your search.

Short-Term/Faculty-Led Study Abroad

Winter break, spring break, spring (May Abroad), May term, summer I and summer II programs are study abroad options that are part of a three-credit-hour Case Western Reserve course (commonly called “short-term” or “faculty led”).

  • Register for one Case Western Reserve course that goes abroad, usually with the faculty leader
  • Pay tuition and a program fee to Case Western Reserve. Program fees and what they cover vary by program.
  • You can find all of these under the “Featured Programs” tab on the Program Search engine

Long-Term Study Abroad (Semester/Year Abroad)

In fall, spring, academic year and calendar year options, students spend a full semester(s) at any one of Case Western Reserve’s 75+ study abroad partner institutions (commonly called “long term study abroad”).

  • Register for a full course load overseas and transfer courses back to Case Western Reserve
  • Participants pay tuition to Case Western Reserve but pay room, board, and any fees to the overseas institution

    Summer Study Abroad at a CWRU Partner Institution

    Summer study abroad is directly enrolling in summer courses at any of Case Western Reserve’s partner institutions.

    • Register for at least one course at an overseas institution and transfer it back to Case Western Reserve
    • Students pay tuition, room and board, and fees to the overseas institution

    Research, Internship, Service Learning & Clinical Exposure Abroad

    Looking to conduct research or gain valuable work experience overseas? There are many opportunities available.

    • Available at many semester/year study abroad institutions and searchable as a field of study under “Courses Offered.” Find a program.
    • Stand-alone opportunities are facilitated by the Office of Education Abroad and the relevant Case Western Reserve department (e.g. the Career Center, SOURCE, CCEL, Co-op Office)
    • International travel registration is required for all international experiences and ensures students have Case Western Reserve’s free international medical and emergency insurance while abroad.

    Independent Academic Travel

    Students who find other opportunities abroad via a Case Western Reserve source (a faculty research connection, an externship advertised via a Case Western Reserve channel or community member, a clinical rotation or elective abroad, etc.) must--by Case Western Reserve policy--register this non-credit travel in the Independent Academic Travel system of the Center for International Affairs. Registration will give students access to Case Western Reserve's free international travel and emergency health insurance.

    Students who believe they should register their travel must email Alec Jokubaitis to check this need and for the link to register at least one month in advance of their departure. 

    Petition Programs

    Students may consider petitioning for a study abroad program not on the CWRU-approved list if they have:

    1. An academically compelling reason for why none of the currently approved programs through CWRU meet their needs and the support of a faculty member to substantiate their academically compelling reason, or
    2. Received a scholarship that fully funds their study at a non-CWRU-approved study abroad program.

    Students must meet with the advisor for unconventional/petition programs and meet very early deadlines.