Why Study Abroad?
Study abroad is an exciting, world-expanding education opportunity, but there are many more reasons why you should make it a part of your academic plan. Here we list a few* of the benefits, but come talk to us in person in Tomlinson Hall, Room 143 to get more information!
- 97% of study abroad students found employment within 12 months of graduation, compared to 49% of the general college population
- 84% of study abroad alumni feel that studying abroad helped them build valuable job skills, such as language proficiency, cultural training, tolerance for ambiguity, adaptability and communication
- 70% of study abroad participants claim they are more satisfied with their jobs
- Study abroad alumni earn approximately 25% more than their peers who did not have a study abroad experience
- Study abroad provides an opportunity to interact with a diverse group of people and learn cross-cultural communication—a valued trait among employers
- Studying abroad presents an opportunity to take classes not available at your home institution
- Study abroad positively impacts grades: Undergraduate students tend to see a rise in their GPA after a study abroad experience and are 19% more likely to graduate on time.
- An overseas experience increases your probability of getting into your preferred graduate school: 90% of study abroad alumni report acceptance into their first or second choice of graduate school
- 97% of study abroad alumni found that study abroad increased maturity
- 96% of alumni saw an increase in self-confidence after studying abroad
- 89% of study abroad alumni gained a greater tolerance for ambiguity