Monday-Friday, 1-4:30 p.m. (except University holidays)
Room 20, BioEnterprise Building, 11000 Cedar Avenue, Cleveland OH
Reference Desk, University Archives
Case Western Reserve University
20 BioEnterprise Building
10900 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-7229
University Archives maintains the corporate memory of Case Western Reserve University by preserving and using University records and publications of continuing value. Materials in the Archives document the significant aspects of the University's development and serve as a convenient source of reliable information about University programs, people, policies, and property.
Anyone can use the CWRU Archives [link to Using the Archives]. Some material may be restricted in accordance with the Access Policy [link to Access Restrictions].
The University depends on records to develop programs and services, make critical strategic decisions, protect property rights, manage projects, serve students, and generate revenue. The CWRU Archives helps busy staff manage University records by providing guidance on organizing, storing and disposing of records.[link to Records section]
The CWRU Archives is located in the BioEnterprise Building at the southwest corner of Cedar Avenue and Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. Collection and services are not located in Kelvin Smith Library.
The BioEnterprise Building is across Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive from the RTA’s Red Line Cedar/University Circle rapid stop and bus station.
Metered visitor parking is available in a small lot adjacent to the building for $1.00 per hour payable via cash or credit card at a pay station. Parking is not guaranteed. The next closest visitor lot is the Veale parking garage (lot 53) on the west side of Adelbert Road.
There are several options for obtaining copies of records:
- You can take your own digital pictures using your camera, phone, or tablet at no charge. However, you cannot bring in and use your own scanner.
- You can request the Archives staff to digitize records for you. Digital copies will not be ready the same day. Delivery times depend on the number of copies ordered and the number of orders in process.
- You can request the Archives staff to make photocopies for you. We attempt to complete orders the day they are received. Large orders (more than 20 copies) or orders placed late in the day may not be finished the same day.
- If you know you will be using the microfilm reader/scanners, bring your own USB drive with you. We cannot provide USB drives.
There are charges for some copying. The schedule is posted in the Reading Room and can be provided upon request. Fees may be charged to CWRU speedtypes or paid by cash or check. We are not permitted to accept credit card payments. Payment must be made when the order is placed.
Processed records do not circulate. Unprocessed records can be recalled by the office that transferred them. Records may not be borrowed by anyone other than the creating office.
To request records you must provide the following information:
- Accession number
- Box number
- Folder title
For example: A98-027, box 1, Bolton-Brush Center, 1991-92
If you recall an entire box, you need only provide the accession and box numbers.
Reference archivists will provide information or copies from processed records, but you may not recall records after they are processed.
Pick-up and Return
There are two possible locations to pick up or return records. When you make your request please indicate which location you prefer.
- CWRU Archives: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-5:00 p.m.
- President and Provost’s Office, Adelbert Hall, Room 216 Monday-Friday 3-4 p.m. (folders only; whole boxes cannot be picked up or returned to Adelbert Hall)
Requests received before 4:00 p.m. will be delivered to Adelbert and available the next day.
Archival records must not be sent through Campus or U.S. mail.
Helen Conger, Archivist
Julia Teran, Archivist
Christine Liebson, Archives Assistant
*We are in the process of migrating our website. For any additional information, please visit http://case.edu/its/archives/