Special Collections in Kelvin Smith Library supports the teaching and research of Case Western Reserve University’s faculty and students and makes its holdings accessible to the local, national and international community of scholars and researchers.
All are welcome to submit information requests or make reading room appointments, using Aeon, our online request system. The reading room is open to all for exhibit viewing and quiet study Monday through Friday 10:00am - 4:30pm. Appointments to use materials in the reading room are available Monday through Friday 10:00am - 12:00pm and 1:00pm - 4:30pm.
Examples of our activities and services include:
- Use of our collections to provide engagement with unique resources, to contextualize historical objects and events, and to teach primary source and visual literacy
- Introduce special collections, archives, and their use with modules available through KSL’s Instruction Hub
- Exhibits, symposia, and conferences relating to our collections
- Support of digital research projects involving our diverse collections
- Support of Collections Research track of the Freedman Fellows Student Program
- Our Student Book Collecting Contest