Reserves are supplementary course materials that faculty put on hold for students to use. These materials are located at the Service Desk of Kelvin Smith Library and are only accessible during Service Center hours.
Please note: KSL will not be offering physical course reserves for spring 2021.
Due to the requirements to accommodate dual delivery of courses, and the necessity to quarantine all materials upon return, it is impossible to provide physical course reserves at this time. Our librarians will work with you to make resources available to you and your students in as helpful a format as possible.
Please reach out to your library liaison for assistance, or see here for more information.
- You must have a valid CWRU ID card in order to check out reserve items.
- Overdue fines for reserve materials accumulate at $1.00 an hour.
- A student wanting to check out an item longer than the assigned loan period must secure permission from the instructor. They will need to contact reserve staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to authorize the change.
- Course reserves at Kelvin Smith Library accepts books, media, and personal copies of items.
- Requests to purchase items not found in the campus collection are also accepted, with the exception of required textbooks. Faculty are welcome to place a personal copy on reserve, however, or talk to their Research Services librarian to explore other options.
- We cannot accept any photocopied material. Faculty should please use Canvas, the Learning Management System used throughout campus, to upload any supplementary digital material.
- Items checked out by other borrowers may not be readily available. To best ensure item availability, faculty is encouraged to plan ahead and make course reserve submissions early.
- Submitted requests may take 3-5 business days for processing, especially during peak times of operation at the beginning of each semester. Items are processed on a first come, first serve basis.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions about how to make submissions, please contact KSL course reserves at email@example.com. We always welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions.
Frequently Asked Questions
An email should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the student’s name and network ID, as well as the course number. The instructor will be notified when this process is complete.
Items requested for purchase generally take 2-3 weeks to acquire. Out-of-print items may take longer.
Supplementary material in digital form can be added to Canvas for student access.
You should first check with the instructor where that item currently resides. Once permission has been obtained from the originating instructor, you can then send an email to the reserve staff at email@example.com so that the item can be booked for your class showing.
Physical materials will not be available for reserve because it is incompatible with both the requirements of dual delivery of classes and the need to quarantine all returned items.