Reserves are supplementary course materials that faculty put on hold for students to use. These materials are located at the Service Desk of Kelvin Smith Library and are only accessible during desk hours.
- You must have a valid CWRU ID card in order to check out reserve items.
- Overdue fines for reserve materials accumulate at $1.00 an hour.
- A student wanting to check out an item longer than the assigned loan period must secure permission from the instructor. They will need to contact reserve staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to authorize the change.
- Course reserves at Kelvin Smith Library accepts books, media, and personal copies of items.
- Requests to purchase items not found in the campus collection are also accepted, with the exception of required textbooks. Faculty are welcome to place a personal copy on reserve, however, or talk to their Research Services librarian to explore other options.
- We cannot accept any photocopied material. Faculty should please use Canvas, the Learning Management System used throughout campus, to upload any supplementary digital material.
- Items checked out by other borrowers may not be readily available. To best ensure item availability, faculty is encouraged to plan ahead and make course reserve submissions early.
- Submitted requests may take 3-5 business days for processing, especially during peak times of operation at the beginning of each semester. Items are processed on a first come, first serve basis.
Questions and Comments
If you have any questions about how to make submissions, please contact KSL course reserves at email@example.com. We always welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions.
Note: Please submit all course reserve requests via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank You!
Frequently Asked Questions
An email should be sent to email@example.com with the student’s name and network ID, as well as the course number. The instructor will be notified when this process is complete.
Items requested for purchase generally take 2-3 weeks to acquire. Out-of-print items may take longer.
Supplementary material in digital form can be added to Canvas for student access.
You should first check with the instructor where that item currently resides. Once permission has been obtained from the originating instructor, you can then send an email to the reserve staff at firstname.lastname@example.org so that the item can be booked for your class showing.