An applied population health scientist and community psychologist, Dr. Darcy A. Freedman is nationally recognized for her contributions to community nutrition. She brings a trans-disciplinary background to her research agenda, developing policy and systems-level interventions to promote health equity by addressing the complex interplay between public health and the environment. Since joining Case Western Reserve University in 2013, she has successfully grown a research program focused on the intersection of health equity and community nutrition. Dr. Freedman’s technology, FM Tracks, is now the gold-standard method used nationally to evaluate healthy food incentive programming. She regularly advises and testifies to inform federal, state, and local nutrition policy.
- Food Access Interventions (e.g., farmers’ markets, community gardens, food policy)
- Community-engagement and Civic Participation
- Public Health Literacy
- Primary Prevention of Chronic Disease (e.g., Obesity, diabetes, cancer)
- Nutrition and Food Security
- Reduce chronic disease trends and inequities through efforts to promote healthy community environments.
- Freedman, DA, Bell, BA, Clark, J, Ngendahimana, D, Borawski, E, Trapl, E, Pike, S, Sehgal, AR. Small Improvements in an Urban Food Environment Resulted in No Changes in Diet Among Residents. J Community Health 2020; : . PubMed PMID:32170531 .
- Freedman, DA, Ngendahimana, D, Shon, EJ, Merritt, K, Pon, J. Predictors of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Use at Farmers' Markets With Monetary Incentive Programming. Am J Health Promot 2019; 33 (7): 1039-1048. PubMed PMID:31159565 .
- Lee, E, Smathers, C, Zubieta, AC, Ginnetti, S, Shah, A, Freedman, DA. Identifying Indicators of Readiness and Capacity for Implementing Farm-to-School Interventions. J Sch Health 2019; 89 (5): 373-381. PubMed PMID:30932209 PubMed Central PMC6519171.
- Parsons, AA, Monteban, M, Lee, E, Bebo, P, Zubieta, AC, Ginnetti, S, Hewitt, J, Freedman, D. Indicators of Readiness and Capacity for Implementation of Healthy Eating Strategies in Child Care Settings Serving Low-Income Children. J Nutr Educ Behav 2019; 51 (4): 465-477. PubMed PMID:30416004 .
- Yang, YY, Kaddu, G, Ngendahimana, D, Barkoukis, H, Freedman, D, Lubaale, YA, Mupere, E, Bakaki, PM. Trends and determinants of stunting among under-5s: evidence from the 1995, 2001, 2006 and 2011 Uganda Demographic and Health Surveys. Public Health Nutr 2018; 21 (16): 2915-2928. PubMed PMID:30156173 PubMed Central PMC6190071.
- Monteban, MF, Bess, KD, Walsh, CC, Baily, H, Flocke, SA, Borawski, EA, Freedman, DA. People and places shaping food procurement among recipients of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Health Place 2018; 53 : 155-163. PubMed PMID:30142499 .
- Freedman, DA, Lee, E, Ohri-Vachaspati, P, Trapl, E, Borawski, E, Bess, K, Flocke, S. Predictors of Farmers' Market Shopping among People Receiving Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Benefits. Am J Community Psychol 2018; 61 (3-4): 488-499. PubMed PMID:29659024 .
- Bush, WS, Crawford, DC, Briggs, F, Freedman, D, Sloan, C. Integrating Community-Level Data Resources For Precision Medicine Research. Pac Symp Biocomput 2018; 23 : 618-622. PubMed PMID:29218920 .
- Trapl, ES, Pike, SN, Borawski, E, Flocke, SA, Freedman, DA, Walsh, CC, Schneider, C, Yoder, L. Food Melt in Consumer Food Environments in Low-income Urban Neighborhoods. Am J Health Behav 2017; 41 (6): 710-718. PubMed PMID:29025499 .
- Pike, SN, Trapl, ES, Clark, JK, Rouse, CD, Bell, BA, Sehgal, AR, To, T, Borawski, E, Freedman, DA. Examining the Food Retail Choice Context in Urban Food Deserts, Ohio, 2015. Prev Chronic Dis 2017; 14 : E90. PubMed PMID:28981402 PubMed Central PMC5645198.
- Flocke, SA, Ohri-Vachispati, P, Shon, EJ, Trapl, ES, Borawski, E, Matlack, K, Freedman, DA. Developing multidimensional measures of healthy food access among low-income adults in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. Public Health Nutr 2017; 20 (16): 2859-2868. PubMed PMID:28847323.
- Lee, E, Dalton, J, Ngendahimana, D, Bebo, P, Davis, A, Remley, D, Smathers, C, Freedman, DA. Consensus modeling to develop the farmers' market readiness assessment and decision instrument. Transl Behav Med 2017; 7 (3): 506-516. PubMed PMID:28730383 PubMed Central PMC5645287.
- Beets, MW, Weaver, RG, Turner-McGrievy, G, Huberty, J, Moore, JB, Ward, DS, Freedman, DA, Beighle, A. Two-Year Healthy Eating Outcomes: An RCT in Afterschool Programs. Am J Prev Med 2017; 53 (3): 316-326. PubMed PMID:28532659 PubMed Central PMC5562516.
- Sullivan, CM, Pencak, JA, Freedman, DA, Huml, AM, León, JB, Nemcek, J, Theurer, J, Sehgal, AR. Comparison of the Availability and Cost of Foods Compatible With a Renal Diet Versus an Unrestricted Diet Using the Nutrition Environment Measures Survey. J Ren Nutr 2017; 27 (3): 183-186. PubMed PMID:28283254 PubMed Central PMC5392449.
- Freedman, DA, Flocke, S, Shon, EJ, Matlack, K, Trapl, E, Ohri-Vachaspati, P, Osborne, A, Borawski, E. Farmers' Market Use Patterns Among Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Recipients With High Access to Farmers' Markets. J Nutr Educ Behav 2017; 49 (5): 397-404.e1. PubMed PMID:28274790 .
- Freedman, DA, Hunt, AR, Merritt, K, Shon, EJ, Pike, SN. Dissemination of Technology to Evaluate Healthy Food Incentive Programs. Am J Prev Med 2017; 52 (3S3): S309-S314. PubMed PMID:28215387 .
Metrics from Web of Science/publons and Scopus/SciVal:
- H-index: 19
- Total publications: 64
- Total citations: 1,523
- Publications in top-tier journals: 28%
- Collaborative publishing national/international: 96%/4%
- International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition, and Public Health
- Social Work Research
Contributions to science:
- Food systems and health
- Implementation and dissemination science for health promotion
- Community systems science for environmental health equity
- Participatory research methodologies
- Foundation for Food and Agriculture Research, Michael & Susan Dell Family Foundation, National Dairy Council, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Steven J. McHale Family Foundation, Sisters of Charity Foundation of Cleveland, Saint Luke’s Foundation: Modeling the Future of Food in Your Neighborhood Study
- NIH/NIDA: Optimizing Healing in Ohio Communities: National HEALing Communities Study
- NIH/NCI: Speeding Research Tested Interventions-FreshLink Ambassadors
- NIH/NCATS: Cleveland Clinical and Translational Science Collaborative
- NIH/NIDCR: Multi-level Interventions to Reduce Caries Disparities in Primary Care Settings
- NIH/NIMHD: Involving communities in delivering and disseminating health disparity interventions (Center for Reducing Health Disparities).
- NIH/NIA: Modeling and Forecasting Atherosclerotic Risk: A Complex Systems Approach (NEO-CARE).
- NIH/NIDDK T35: The Case Medical Student Summer Research Program (MSSRP)
- CDC: CWRU Prevention Research Centers for Healthy Neighborhoods
- USDA: Harvesting Health in the Heartland through Statewide Nutrition Incentive Program Expansion
- USDA: Building capacity for obesity prevention
Student and mentee totals, over Case Western Reserve University career/full academic career:
- Master’s: 5/7
- PhD: 8/12
- PhD graduates’ current careers:
- Marywood University, Department of Social Work, Assistant Professor
- University of Minnesota, School of Public Health, Post-doctoral fellow
- Center for Health Services and Policy Research, University of South Carolina Research Associate
- University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Assistant Professor
- University of Missouri, School of Social Work, St. Louis, Assistant Professor
- School of Medicine Consultation Center at Yale University, Postdoctoral Fellow
- CWRU Mary Ann Swetland Center for Environmental Health, Postdoctoral Scholar