The Freedman Center for Digital Scholarship
We are a team of scholars and librarians that partner with others at CWRU and the surrounding community to integrate digital scholarship into research and teaching in new and innovative ways. Digital scholarship is the application of digital tools and methods to explore data in new ways and advance the creation and communication of scholarship. We pride ourselves on bringing our expertise and technology together to work with others in interdisciplinary, collaborative, and experimental ways.
- Support for publishing and sharing open access research
- Digital Case is an online archive of the CWRU community that provides open access to scholarly output and creative work of CWRU faculty, staff, and students. It includes a collection of unique materials digitized from the University Archives and Special Collections holdings
- OSF (Open Science Framework) is an open source data storage and project collaboration platform that is available to host and share data, papers, and files with the academic community. For further details on OSF and how to get started, visit our research guide on the topic
- Customized project consultations to faculty and students interested in embarking on digital scholarship projects (contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Educational opportunities in the use of digital scholarship-related tools and pedagogy through our workshops and classes
- Support of faculty and researchers through the Freedman Fellows Program
- Support of students through the Freedman Fellows Student Program
- Hosted events such as colloquia, instruction sessions, and workshops that equip researchers with knowledge of trends in the area of technology and scholarly research
- Assistance with GIS programs
- Access to multimedia and digitization hardware and software
We drive cutting-edge scholarship by developing creative solutions, building community, and promoting equitable access to research and knowledge.
We aspire to be recognized as the leading partnership-driven destination for creativity, discovery, and experimental scholarship.
Our Team Values
- providing an inclusive, equitable, diverse, and anti-racist culture that enables all people to feel heard, empowered, valued and welcomed.
- understanding for the diverse ways that people create information, access it, and disseminate it across a variety of communities.
- supporting an ethical approach to research that balances advancing human knowledge with rights to privacy.
- encouraging scientific and humanistic inquiry and using digital scholarship to explore problems and investigate solutions.
- contextualizing content especially when addressing sensitive research that may impact people’s lives.
- offering equitable recognition for contributions, labor, and participation regardless of standing.
- collaborating across all disciplines.
- enriching remote learning opportunities that are accessible to anyone, from anywhere, at any time.
- pursuing lifelong learning, self-education and pushing technical boundaries and exploring interdisciplinary concepts.
- exploring the transformative impact of new media on research and digital literacy
using technology to strengthen the clarity of information.
- educating the community about Open Access as a human and civil right.
- understanding that our scholarly work may impact our local communities in Cleveland and Northeast Ohio and our global communities, academic and nonacademic.
The Freedman Center for Digital Scholarship Team welcomes your questions and input. You may e-mail us at email@example.com or give us a call at (216) 368-0932.