- Treat the interview as a sales call. Find out what the employer's needs are so you can sell yourself effectively.
- Your interpersonal skills are more important than your background, experience or education.
- Most individuals don't talk enough during an interview; they respond but do not initiate conversation.
- Go into the interview with questions based on your agenda:
- What do you want to communicate about yourself?
- What impression do you want to make?
- What do you need to learn about the employer?
The Value of Asking Questions
Asking appropriate questions helps you:
- Understand what the employer needs so you can sell yourself effectively.
- Assess whether you want the job.
- Build a working relationship grounded in "give and take" communication.