Preferred Name

The university recognizes that many of its students use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purpose of misrepresentation, the university offers the opportunity to use a preferred name in addition to legal name. 

Use of Preferred Name

You may update your preferred name in the Student Information System (SIS). Your preferred name will appear in the following areas and will substitute for your primary/legal name:

  • Advising rosters
  • Grade rosters
  • Class rosters

Preferred names will also be available to other university administrators.  Preferred names will not be used on official university student record documents such as enrollment verification, degree verification, transcript, etc. In order to use a different name on any of these forms, students must follow the change of legal name process as described on our Name Change page.

Preferred Name & Email Address

Please note that updates to your preferred name in SIS do not automatically generate updates to your email address.  If you would like to use an email address that reflects your preferred name, please submit your request to [U]Tech via their Preferred First.Last Web Tool. 

ID Cards

Students may request a replacement CWRU ID Card showing preferred name from the Office of Access Services.  Please see the Access Services website for more information.