Diplomas and Certificates

The University Registrar's Office is responsible for diplomas and University Certificates. Documents are issued in the legal name under which the student attended. To request a legal name change, please visit our Name Change page. See our Preferred Name page to request that a diploma be issued in a name other than the legal name.

Certified Electronic Credentials

Starting with Spring 2015 graduates, CWRU offers Certified Electronic Credentials (CeDiploma and CeCertificate), which are official, secure, and verifiable electronic versions of your university credential.  See Certified Electronic Credential for details.

Replacement Diploma Certificates

To order a replacement diploma certificate, please submit the following form and any additional files via the submission page.

Replacement Diploma Certificate Request

A legal name change request can be made to reflect a new legal name on the replacement diploma certificate. To request a legal name change, please visit our Name Change page. If submitting a name change request, please submit all required documentation and replacement diploma form simultaneously. Contact diploma@case.edu for more information.


Case Western Reserve University confers degrees to qualified candidates three times per year: in August for students who complete their programs during the summer term, in January for students who complete their programs during the fall semester, and in May for students who complete their programs during the spring semester.

Commencement week occurs once a year in May. It includes a university-wide convocation, followed by separate diploma ceremonies throughout the week, where actual diplomas are distributed.

Students who indicate on their graduation application that they will not participate in their ceremony can choose to have their diploma mailed to them. Students may also arrange to pick up diplomas from their respective dean's or registrar's office - see contacts below. Students may not receive diplomas prior to the date on which the degree is to be conferred.

Note: Students can view their graduation application in SIS and update their diploma address there, if needed.

Career: Contact Information:
Undergraduate Students Undergraduate Advising Support Office
Graduate Students Office of Graduate Studies
Dental Students Dental School Registrar
Law Students Law School Registrar
Management Students WSOM Registrar 
Medical Students Medical School Registrar
Nursing Students Nursing School Registrar
Applied Social Sciences Students SASS Registrar