Faculty - Schedule of Classes

How do I gain access to the Schedule of Classes?

See Schedule of Classes Administration.

Where can I go for more help?

Visit SIS Resources for all class maintenance topics. For specific questions, please email courses@case.edu

What is a multiple offering?

multiple offering is a group of courses that have the same name and content, but are housed in multiple departments under multiple subjects or are offered as undergraduate and graduate level courses.

For example, ECON 341 and BAFI 341 are both called Banking and Finance, have the same description, and are worth the same number of credit hours. Essentially, they are the same class but offered by different departments. If you were to look up either course, you would see that both BAFI 341 and ECON 341 are listed on the same record. In fact, they share the same unique course ID that was assigned when the course record was created.

For information on creating a multiple offering, login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for "multiple offering" or "cross-listed course."

What is a course component?

course component is a value in SIS that represents the format used to conduct a class. Some examples of course components are:

- Lecture 
- Laboratory 
- Seminar 
- Recitation 
- Clinical 
- Thesis

In some Academic Departments, it is common to have more than one component for an individual course. This is called a multiple component course. For information on how to schedule a class with multiple components, login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for "multiple components."

What are class notes?

Class notes are housed on the Notes tab of class section records in the Schedule of Classes. A note is added if additional information needs to be given about a class section. A note may be a entered by department personnel in the free format text field of the Notes tab or a standard note can be created for use on many sections from semester to semester.

What is a run control ID?

run control ID is the name you assign to a process and the parameters for that process. A run control ID will be needed for tasks such as printing the schedule of classes and running reports. It is recommended that you create a new run control for each process you use and reuse that ID each time you run that process. For more information, login to SIS, click the Help link on the right side of the page and search for run control ID.

What does it mean when a course's academic organization begins with an M, such as M-ANAT?

Academic Organizations beginning with an M are professional-level medical school organizations. Those with without are graduate-level organizations.

How do I make a section's instructor show as "staff"?

On the Meetings tab, leave the ID field blank and the section will show "staff" as the instructor.

A course section is to be taught by a graduate teaching assistant (TA).  How can the student be added into SIS as a TA?

In order to have a student added into SIS as a TA, you will need to verify the kind of course the TA will be teaching.

  • If a graduate or professional student is to teach an undergraduate course, the TA has to have taken or be currently enrolled in UNIV 400 (A, B or C). Students without registration in UNIV 400 (A, B or C) will not be added as a TA until this requirement has been met.
  • If a Ph.D. student is to teach a graduate Master's level course, this is permitted.
  • If a Ph.D. student is to teach a Ph.D. level course, he/she will need approval from the School of Graduate Studies. Some individual departments such as engineering have special courses in their area in which students have to be registered to be recognized as a TA such as 400T, 500T and 600T.
  • If a professional student is to teach a professional course, he/she must have approval from the school's Dean's office.
  • If a student is to be a primary instructor of a course, a letter from the Dean's office approving the TA is required.

Please contact registrar@case.edu with questions.

What happens if I leave the enrollment capacity for a course section as unlimited (999)?

So that we can best match rooms to enrollment requirements, any class sections that are marked for unlimited enrollment capacity (999) will be changed to match the capacity of the room requested. If a specific room is not requested, then our office will look at prior enrollment for the course and match it with available rooms and room capacity.

Departments will still be able to manage enrollment limits by using the "Enrollment Control" tab within Maintain Schedule of Classes. By actively setting the enrollment capacity we are better able to ensure that an appropriate room is available based on expected enrollments.

Why would I need to delete or cancel a section?

Sections that either rolled forward from a prior term or were added and are not going to be offered should be deleted or canceled.

How do I know when to delete a section versus canceling it?

If the class section has not yet been made available to students in Class Search, then you should delete it. Once a section has been made available in Class Search but is no longer going to be offered, it should be cancelled. For detailed instructions on how to delete or cancel a course section, see the Schedule of Classes section of our SIS Resources page.

How do I cancel a course with enrollments?

If students are enrolled in a class section that needs to be canceled, you will be able to notify them when you click Cancel Class on the Enrollment Cntrl tab. A notification page will appear. To send the message to all students enrolled in that section, click the Send Notification button. To continue canceling the class without sending the notification, click Return to Schedule of Classes.

When I combine my sections, the Status appears as "Closed." Why?

You need to enter a value in the enrollment capacity field for the combined section on the Identify Combined Sections screen. If you don't have an enrollment limit on any of the sections, you can make it 999. If you want an enrollment limit, you should use that number. E.g., if you have two sections which are combined, but you don't want more than 20 students enrolling in this course, you should have an enrollment capacity of 20 on each of the sections individually, and 20 as the enrollment capacity for the combined section as well.

How do I change the session of combined sections?

If a situation should arise where it is necessary to change the session in which a class is scheduled (e.g. the regular session to the dynamically dated session) and this class is already part of a combined section, please follow these instructions to make the change:

  • Go to the Identify Combined Sections screen for the cross-listed course. Delete all sections from cross-listing. Save.
  • Go to the Combined Sections table for that session and term. Delete the row of the cross-listing from the table. Save.
  • Go to the Maintain Schedule of Classes search screen. Search for the classes that are being moved to a different session. Change each section of the cross-listed course.
  • Return to the Combined Sections table search screen. Search for the session and term in which the cross-listed course should be placed.
  • Follow the Combine Sections of Cross-listed Courses guide to combine the sections in the new session.

After registration has begun, how can changes be made to a course section?

If there are no enrollments and the print flag has been turned on, contact the appropriate dean to request that it be turned off. Once the changes are made, notify the dean to turn the print flag back on. Note: Only changes to the Enrollment Control tab can be made if there are enrollments in the course. For other changes please send an email to courses@case.edu with your request.

How can I see enrollments for all the courses my department is offering?

In SIS, choose Reporting Tools from the left-hand menu and then Query. Select Query Viewer, then click Advanced Search in the frame on the right. Next to Folder Name enter "statistics" and you'll get two queries that can be used to look at enrollment counts. If you want all of an academic organization's courses, use the COUNTS_BY_ORG query. If you want courses by subject area, use the COUNTS_BY_SUBJ query. Enter the term and org/subject codes or use the lookup icons to the right of the text boxes to identify your search criteria. Click View Results.

If you do not have access to this function, you can email reghelp@case.edu for enrollment counts.

The print flag for my course has been turned on, but it's still not listed in the online class search. What should I do?

It may take up to five minutes after the print flag has been turned on before the class appears in class search.  If it has been longer than that, please send an email to courses@case.edu for assistance.

I need a room scheduled for my course by the University Registrar's Office. How do I accomplish that?

All courses that require a room to be scheduled by the University Registrar's Office should either have a requested room listed or have "TBS TBS" listed in Facility ID. TBA listed in Facility ID indicates that the department will be responsible for scheduling the room without assistance from the University Registrar's Office.

The course I'm scheduling holds exams during the semester at times that are different from the regular class meeting times. How do I schedule this so students don't end up with courses that conflict with these exams?

If a course holds exams during the semester at times separate from the regular class meeting times, you are encouraged to schedule these exams as additional meeting patterns. If students try to register for another course conflicting with any of the exam times, SIS will alert them to the time conflict and require that they seek permission to enroll in both courses.

You can schedule multiple meeting patterns, one for the actual class meeting and one for each in-semester exam. On the Meetings tab of the class section in which an exam is to be scheduled, in the meeting pattern box, click the plus (+) sign to add a new row for each. See an example.

For more information on maintaining classes, see the Schedule of Classes section of our SIS Resources page.

When I run the print class schedule report, there are no results when I open the PDF. How can I fix this?

Check your run control settings. Make sure you select "All" in the drop down "Schedule Print" and "Print Instructor in Schedule" boxes. Leave the "Session" box blank when choosing the summer term. Also be sure to check "Report only" on the "Report Options" tab.

On my Cross-listed Report, I see courses that are owned by other departments. Is this an error?

No, it's not an error. You will see all of your cross-listed courses, even if they are owned by another department, so that you may monitor the offerings on your courses. If there are any errors, you won't be able to resolve them yourself, but you may want to bring it to the attention of the department which owns the course, although they should be seeing the same error on their cross-listed report.

Where can I go for help with correcting errors and warnings found on the error report?

Go to the Error Report Help page.