Kalle Lyytinen, PhD, is the Iris S. Wolstein Professor of Management Design; chair and professor, design and innovation; and faculty director, doctor of management program. Lyytinen’s research helps define how rapidly changing digital innovations shape organizations. His work helps organizations know how to identify, absorb, manage, implement and be transformed by digital innovations. His recent projects have focused on engineering practices, telecommunications and software development organizations. Lyytinen studies the adoption of new technologies, new forms of collaboration, and new ways to determine system requirements.
Lyytinen joined the Weatherhead School of Management faculty in 2001. Since then his teaching interests have focused on digital innovation theory, new business venturing, design theory and methods, research methods and theory.
Lyytinen has an extensive list of over 300 publications in numerous prestigious journals including INFORMATION SYSTEMS RESEARCH; MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS QUARTERLY; and ORGANIZATION SCIENCE and leading conferences. He is currently among the top five scholars in the information system field by citations (H-index 71). He has presented his work extensively in the U.S. and worked globally at academic institutions including University of Cape Town, ZA; Copenhagen Business School, Denmark; City University of Hong Kong, CPR; Auckland University School of Business, New Zealand; Umea University, Sweden; Aalto University, Finland; and Oslo University, Norway.
Professionally, Lyytinen has served as vice president for the Association for Information Systems(AIS), senior editor for INFORMATION SYSTEMS RESEARCH and editor-in-chief for the JOURNAL OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMATION SYSTEMS. He received an honorary doctorate from Copenhagen Business School in 2016 and from Umea University in 2008. Lyytinen also received the LEO Award from AIS in 2013 and he has numerous Best Paper Awards from AIS (ICIS), HICSS and AoM (OCIS). Lyytinen received his PhD from the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland.
Academic and Professional Activities
- Chairperson, Executive DBA Council, Cleveland, OH, 2015 - 2017
- Editor, Associate Editor, Organization Science, 2014 - Present
- Editor in Chief, Engaged Management REview, Cleveland, OH, 2014 - 2019
- View More Activities
- Distinguished University Professor, Case Western Reserve University. (2017).
- Honorary Doctorate, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland. (2017).
- Enduring Research Impact Award, Weatherhead School of Management. (2016).
- View More Awards
Systems design methods and design methodologies: IS research strategies and their selection: analysis of appropriate research methods for different research problems and their evaluation using philosophy of science.
IS innovation/implementation and failures: organizational theories to frame and describe information system and IT service innovation, risks, failures and their causes.
Computer Aided Systems Engineering Environments CASE: design, development and implementation of CASE environments and especially management,
Computer Supported Cooperative Work: organizational memory, meeting support,
Diffusion and Innovation Theory: radical IS innovation, disruptive innovations, Digitally enabled radical innovation and transformation, diffusion of complex networked technologies and evolution of the technology infrastructures; standardization;
Ubiquitous Computing: systems and architectures, organizational and industry level impacts, digitalization of design processes
Digital innovation theory, new business venturing, design theory and methods, research methods and theory
Recent Courses and Syllabi
- Lyytinen, K., Boland, R. (2017).
The Limits to Language in Doing Systems Design (vol. 27, issue 2, ). European Journal of Information Systems.
- Nambisan, S., Lyytinen, K. J., Majchrzak, A., Song, M. (2017).
Digital innovation management: Reinventing innovation management research in a digital world. (vol. 41, issue 1, pp. 223-238). MIS Quarterly.
- Lyytinen, K., Grover, V. (2017).
Management Misinformation Systems- A Time to Revisit? (vol. 18, issue 2, ). Journal of the Association for Information Systems.
- View More Publications
- Iucolano, D. M. (Presenter & Author), Niraj, R. (Author Only), Lyytinen, K. J. (Author Only) Summer AMA Educators Conference, "Personal Data Sharing and Collection: Consumer Acceptance and Fairness of Exchanges in Digital Environments", American Marketing Association, Chicago. (2018).
- Adelegan, J. A., Cola, P. A., Lyytinen, K. J. Green transformation and competitive advantage: Evidence from developing countries, "Green Investment and Organizational Performance: Evidence from the Nigerian Pulp and Paper Industry", German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Bonn, Germany. (2018).
- St. Clair, D., Cola, P. A., Hunter, G., Lyytinen, K. J. AMA 2017 Summer, "Systems-Savvy Selling: A Quantitative Study to Uncover Predictors of B2B Sales Performance", American Marketing Association, San Francisco, California. (2017).
- View More Presentations