Special Collections Use
Special Collections and items are rare and fragile. Library patrons agree to abide by the following rules to help us preserve the collections.
- All patrons must create an Aeon account, and present a photo ID. We will ask each researcher to update her or his information annually.
- Materials must be handled with care, according to the instructions given by Special Collections personnel.
- Users may not remove material from the reading room.
- Food and drink are prohibited.
- Pencils are the only writing utensils allowed.
- Bags, coats, and other personal items must be stored separately from our materials. We strongly recommend that you do not leave personal items unattended if you leave the reading room.
- Patrons may take photographs of materials for private use (without flash). Staff can provide researchers with other reproductions through Aeon photoduplication requests.
Professional staff provides reference services to patrons during posted service hours and by appointment. We work one-on-one with patrons to identify and provide Special Collections material for use in their research.
Exhibits in Hatch Reading Room change regularly. Visitors are welcome and encouraged to view exhibits during open hours. Visitors viewing exhibits are asked to keep noise levels down when patrons are using the room.
Hatch Reading Room is a designated quiet study room. Library patrons may make use of the room for this purpose, but visitors who are using special collections materials will be given preference if seating becomes limited.
Hours of Service
Hatch Reading Room hours are 10:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday for exhibit viewing and quiet study. Appointments to use materials in the reading room are available Monday-Friday, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm. The room may at times be closed for instruction sessions or other meetings that require the use of the room. Changes to reading room hours are posted on a sign outside the reading room door.