View Undergraduate Programs in Nutrition
- BS Human Nutrition
- BA Human Nutrition
- Minor Programs in Nutrition
- BS Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism
- BA Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism
- Didactic Program in Dietetics (ACEND Accredited)
The field of nutrition encompasses an extremely broad and increasingly expanding variety of topics, including the study of metabolism and metabolomics. The Department of Nutrition is a research-based department within the School of Medicine that offers several undergraduate degree programs, including dual-majors.
The undergraduate degree in nutrition is appropriate for students who wish to:
- Pursue graduate programs in nutritional biochemistry, molecular nutrition, dietetics, public health nutrition or other biomedical sciences;
- Enter professional schools of dentistry, medicine, physical therapy, or pharmacy; or
- Apply to dietetic internships or approved experience programs in order to prepare for the professional practice of dietetics pursue technical careers in the food or pharmaceutical industry.
The undergraduate degree in nutrition does offer flexibility in course selection within the framework of general program requirements. The selection of courses depends on the student’s choice of emphasis (human nutrition or nutritional biochemistry and metabolism track). Students who wish to qualify for admission to either professional or graduate programs need to include specific courses considered prerequisites for admission.
Students interested in applying to dietetic internships must meet specific course requirements (Didactic Program in Dietetics) as required by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. These requirements are met in the courses that comprise the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD). The DPD at Case Western Reserve University is currently granted Accreditation by the:
Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and
Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
120 South Riverside Plaza
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
A department advisor should be consulted in a student's first year to plan the dietetics course work.