The Practicum Program is a zero-credit experiential learning opportunity at CWRU coordinated by Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education which provides students with opportunities to develop and enhance skills, insights, and knowledge. The desired learning outcome of the Practicum is intellectual, professional, and personal growth in an area related to a student's academic and career goals. Practicum students enroll in course sections for the semester in which they are on assignment (either full-time—40 hours/week or part-time—20 hours/week). Part-time participants are still expected to enroll in credit-bearing coursework.
Both undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the College of Arts & Sciences, Weatherhead School of Management, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, and students pursuing entrepreneurial ventures may enroll. Although no credit is awarded, students earn transcript notation for successful completion of a practicum experience. Successful completion will be determined by the Practicum Coordinator once the required deliverables are provided by the student, in conjunction with faculty advisor and employer input. International students can become eligible for the program through CPT.
In order to participate:
- You must be a declared major in either the College of Arts and Sciences, Weatherhead School of Management, or the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing.
- You must have a GPA of 2.5 or greater and be in good academic standing.
- You must have completed 60 credit hours before starting your assignment (30 completed credit hours for a transfer student).
- You must be able to work full-time or part-time for a minimum of 11 consecutive weeks (six consecutive weeks for early identification programs and first-year international students).
- You must be eligible to work in the country of placement.
- International students are eligible to work via curricular practical training (CPT).
Practicum Success Plan
We have step-by-step instructions to help you enroll successfully in the Practicum program. Before you accept an offer and enroll in the Practicum program, you’ll meet with the Practicum Coordinator to ensure the opportunity qualifies.
We’ll work with you to create a Success Plan in My Journey to ensure you have a great Practicum experience.