We have step-by-step instructions to help you enroll in and successfully complete the Practicum program.
At least one semester prior to your planned experience, begin your search for a suitable practicum opportunity.
- Make an appointment with Post-Graduate Planning and Experiential Education to develop a search strategy
- Complete Practicum workshop (if applicable) to understand enrollment process
- Visit Office of Financial Aid, Housing, and ISS (if applicable) to review logistics of participating in program
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss how Practicum may impact graduation timeline
Once you receive an offer, you may begin the process to enroll in the Practicum program.
4-5 weeks before your start date
- Identify a Faculty member to serve as your advisor to help you create appropriate learning objectives
- Fill out the Practicum application in Handshake (Experience > Request Experience) and upload your offer letter
- Write SMART learning objectives (in Handshake Experience) and obtain approval from your Faculty Advisor, Onsite supervisor (if known) and the Practicum Coordinator.
- International students: Complete CPT workshop
2-3 weeks before your start date
- Register for non-credit Practicum course in SIS and receive class permission from the Practicum Coordinator
- Complete and submit health form to University Health and Counseling Services
- International students: Complete CPT application with Practicum Coordinator and bring to ISS
Once you’ve completed the previous steps and are fully enrolled in the Practicum program you are ready to begin your practicum on the agreed upon date with your supervisor.
During your first week
- If you haven't yet, share your learning objectives with your supervisor
- Show up early, prepared and ready to learn
- Ask questions
- Get to know the office and your team
Review and fulfill all key responsibilities during your practicum experience. Don’t forget to complete all evaluations and reflection paper(s).
- Complete midpoint student evaluation
- Discuss the possibility of an on-site visit with Practicum Coordinator
- Complete final student evaluation
- Write reflection paper and upload to Handshake
- Update resume with new experience and upload to Handshake
- Consider sharing experience and thanking employer on your LinkedIn profile
- Consider asking employer to serve as reference for future opportunities
For assistance with any of the steps to enroll in or complete the Practicum program, please contact Brian Matthews, Assistant Director for Experiential Learning, at 216.368.4446 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also consult our Practicum FAQs page.