The university procures three types of goods/services:
- Goods: commercial or specialized, etc.
- Services: artist agreement, independent contractor, maintenance, etc.
- Goods / Services (Mixed): hotels, events, catering, equipment with maintenance, etc.
Goods can be purchased the following four ways:
- Peoplesoft Financials - Special Request;
The preferred method is via SmartCART, then Peoplesoft Financials - Special Request, and then PCard. The least effective method is after-the-fact reimbursements to individuals.
If you use a SmartCART vendor, CWRU has transparency on your spend (since it is categorized and coded properly), sales terms (such as payment, shipping , warranty, liability, etc.) are pre-determined. If you use a PeopleSoft Financials Purchase Order (i.e. a Special Request), documents such as a Price Quotation(s), Single Source Justification Form, or Supplier Terms must be added as supporting attachments (for future audit). A PCard transaction is expedient for some simple, low dollar, low-risk commercial transactions, but it customarily does not protect the University like a signed contract. Reimbursements for after-the-fact transactions are the least effective sourcing methodology.
- If a supplier accepts CWRU standard terms and conditions, then a Purchase Order is quick.
- If a supplier does not accept CWRU standard terms or their Quote references non-standard terms (such as Net30 payment terms, non-Ohio jurisdiction, no liability, etc.), then Contracts-PDS@case.edu will redact the Suppliers Quote and request signature. If signed, then a PO may be created quickly.
- If a supplier does not accept CWRU terms or CWRU changes to their Quote, then either a negotiated compromise or Legal Approval must be obtained in order for CWRU signatory authority and the Procurement Buyer to issue a Purchase Order.
The most common cause of delay in issuing Purchase Orders are:
- Slow approval of the funding requisition;
- non-approval (or push back) of funding requisition due to incomplete documentation;
- non-approval of requisition due to supplier delay in agreeing to CWRU terms; and
- internal review and signatory completion time.
Questions Regarding CWRU Suppliers
- Supplier Information Form: email@example.com
- Preferred Suppliers: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SmartCART Supplier: email@example.com
- Suppliers with Master Service Agreements: Contracts-PDS@case.edu