Registration Information for Advisors

About Registration

Students register for classes using the Student Information System (SIS). SIS enables advisor review of class schedules, department or instructor control over permit-only classes, and undergraduate advising support office's review of credit overload requests.

The key elements of registration are:

Registration Priority by Seniority for Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate students without holds may register beginning on their assigned appointment date or any time after that through the end of the drop/add period. A student's appointment date is based on anticipated graduation date. See When Can I Register? for current priority designations.

New first year students starting in the Fall register during the Summer.

Advising and Advising Holds

Before a student may register, advising holds must be released by their advisor. Advisees are encouraged to meet with advisors during the advising period for schedule review and general advising. The release of an advising hold is the advisor "signature" and represents the advisor's approval of the student's course selection. If you release an advising hold in error, please email to reinstate it.

Each student will have an advising hold placed on their record twice a year (Fall and Spring) regardless of the number of majors, degrees, or careers the student may have. One hold is placed for both Summer and Fall, and releasing that hold allows the student to register for both terms. Department academic representatives may have access to release advising holds for their department's majors. Note: Minor Advisors and Designated Advisors cannot release holds in SIS.

Advising holds are released through the Student Information System (SIS). For instructions, see Releasing an Advising Hold.

If your advisee does not appear on your My Advisees page, contact one of the following based on the student's career to assist you with this issue:






Undergraduate Advising Support


Graduate Studies

Office of Graduate Studies


Management (graduate/professional)

Weatherhead School of Management Registrar

WSOM Contact Form


Mandel School (graduate/professional) Mandel School Registrar 216.368.2101

Nursing (graduate/professional)

Nursing School Registrar


Class Permissions, Overloads and Class Withdrawals

Class permissions, credit overloads, class withdrawals after the end of the drop/add period, and complete semester withdrawals require the student to see the appropriate person and to secure the necessary permissions. Class permission, requisite overrides, time conflict, and closed class overrides may be issued in SIS by the instructor, which allows the student to register for the class in question. Credit overload authorization is entered into SIS by Undergraduate Advising Support. Students may drop individual classes in SIS through the deadline for class withdrawal (upperclassmen) or through the last day of classes (first-year students). Students may submit requests for term withdrawal through SIS.

Class permission requests are reviewed in the Student Information System (SIS). For instructions, see Reviewing Permission Requests.

Note: Department representatives can receive access to release holds or grant class permissions by requesting access to the Departmental Admin Center by submitting the SIS Security Request Form.