Preferred Name

The university recognizes that many of its students use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for misrepresentation, the university offers the opportunity to use a chosen name (known as a preferred name in the Student Information System) in addition to a legal name (known as the primary name in the Student Information System).


Use of Preferred Name

Students may update their preferred names in the Student Information System (SIS). The preferred name will be viewable by university administrators and will appear in the following areas, substituting for your primary name:

  • Advising rosters
  • Grade rosters
  • Class rosters

Preferred names are not used on official university student record documents such as enrollment verifications, degree verifications, and transcripts. These documents use primary (legal) names. Please see our Name Change page for information on requesting a legal name change.


Email Address

Updates to preferred names in SIS do not automatically generate updates to email addresses. Please submit your request to [U]Tech via their Preferred First.Last Web Tool to use an email address that reflects preferred name.



By default, primary (legal) names are used on diplomas. However, upon request, students may use a name other than their primary name. Students wishing to do so should contact their school registrar, Undergraduate Advising Support Office, or School of Graduate Studies for assistance.

Important note: Although CWRU considers the diploma a ceremonial document, some entities may require a diploma (in conjunction with an official transcript) for various legal, licensing, credentialing, immigration, and employment purposes. Printing a name other than the primary name on the diploma may result in unforeseen complications due to the discrepancy between the diploma and other documents (e.g., transcript, passport, birth certificate, etc.) that contain the primary name. To avoid such complications, using the primary name on the diploma is recommended. Students who wish to use a different name on their diplomas are strongly encouraged to discuss with their school registrar or dean the potential implications.


ID Cards

Students may request a replacement CWRU ID Card showing their preferred name from the Office of Access Services.