Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to help pay the tuition of servicemembers.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated services, application process' and restrictions.

TA funds are a unique, distinct source of financial aid for eligible active duty Service members. Each service branch pays tuition expenses directly to the university.

Per DoD MOU, paragraph 4.e.(3), "Service members identified as eligible DoD TA recipients... will have their TA benefits applied to their educational institution's account prior to the application of their Pell Grant funds to their account."


As you consider utilizing TA funds to help pay for your educational program, review the following links for more information:

Financial Aid for Veterans

Veteran Resources


How to Apply for Tuition Assistance

  1. Contact your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or Counselor within your Service

    Eligible Service members must receive approval from an Education Services Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service prior to enrolling at Case Western Reserve University.

    You can meet with an education counselor by visiting your local installation education office or by going online to a virtual education center.

  2. Apply for admission through the appropriate school

    We are excited you are interested in starting or continuing your education with Case Western Reserve University and look forward to working with you!

  3. Apply for Tuition Assistance

    Each military branch has its own TA application form and procedure. To find out how to get started, visit your local installation education center, go online to a virtual education center, and click on the links below for each service branch for additional information:

    Prior to your course enrollment, you may be required to develop an education plan or complete TA orientation. Your service's education center must approve your military tuition assistance before you enroll in a course.

  4. Contact our Office

    After enrolling in courses, let our office know you are using Tuition Assistance from your branch of service. Make sure to let us know if you are using TA on its own or in combination with VA Chapter Benefits to best assist you in receiving your aid.
    Fax: 216.368.8771

    Mailing Address:
    University Registrar, VA Benefits
    Case Western Reserve University
    10900 Euclid Ave, Sears Building 220
    Cleveland, OH 44106-7042

  5. Apply for Supplemental Financial Aid (Optional)

    Supplemental aid such as scholarships or that which is applied for using the FAFSA can alter how you use your military benefits, by extending available time or reducing benefits.
    Phone: 216.368.4530

    Office of Financial Aid
    Case Western Reserve University
    10900 Euclid Ave, Sears Building 240
    Cleveland, OH 44106-7049

  6. Register for Classes in SIS

    Register for classes using the Student Information System (SIS) according to your school's schedule and instructions.


If, for any reason, a student withdraws from a course during the semester, TA funds will be returned based on the Return of Unearned TA Funds policy.