Frequently Asked Questions - Veterans Benefits

The VA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis, MO, determines eligibility. You can apply for Veterans Education Benefits online via VONAPP or contact the VA to have a form sent to you at 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Yes, CWRU does participate in the Yellow Ribbon program. In order to be eligible to participate in Yellow Ribbon, you must be Post-9/11 GI Bill 100% eligible. 

Availability of funds is determined by individual schools. See a complete list of participating programs at CWRU. Please contact a School Certifying Official (SCO) at about your program if you have further questions.

We will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and you must be registered for the upcoming semester. We will begin initial certifications 1-2 weeks prior to the upcoming semester.

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is the letter you receive after applying for educational benefits. THE COE outlines which benefits you are eligible to receive. We need to be able to identify what Chapter under the GI Bill you are eligible to receive benefits from. Also, it is a requirement the COE remains in your file just in case there are any future questions concerning eligibility.

You will need to submit a VA Form 22-1995 to the St. Louis Regional Processing Office. If you are receiving benefits under the Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35) you will need to submit a VA Form 22-5495. Both forms can be submitted online.

CWRU does not have the ability to check the availability of federal benefits. Sign up for an eBenefits account to check remaining benefits.

The School Certifying Official will certify VA Education Benefits twice at the beginning of the term. The first certification process will entail enrollment information only. This will happen 1-2 weeks prior to the start of the term. This will allow for an applicable BAH/book stipends to process. After the designated Drop/Add period found on the University's Academic Calendar ends, certifications are resubmitted to the VA. The second certification process includes both enrollment and financial (net tuition and fees) information.

Payment can vary depending on processing times at the VA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis.  To find out your current payment status, please call 1-888-442-4551.

Please contact the School Certifying Official (SCO) as soon as you make a change to your schedule. The SCO is required to notify the VA of schedule changes since these changes could adversely affect your status with the VA. If you are unsure of how your benefits may be affected, please contact your SCO before you make any adjustments to your schedule. Failure to notify the SCO of schedule changes may result in inaccurate or incomplete information provided to the VA.

If the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs alters or cancels previously designated eligibility which could result in a decreased rate of payment, or issues an update concerning exhausted benefits, you are responsible for full payment of tuition and fee charges due to CWRU in accordance to deadlines determined by the Student Financial Services Office.

If a student is called to active duty or deployed after the end of the drop/add period (when tuition and enrollment is finalized), the university will work with the student to determine whether it is feasible for him or her to complete courses for that semester in absentia (depending on timing) or if the student should withdraw from the semester. In the latter case, the university will refund all tuition for that semester. For more information, please see Withdrawal and Tuition Refunds.

The VA determines eligibility and payment amounts. However, the CWRU Financial Aid Department determines Yellow Ribbon amounts using specific formulas. For more information, you may contact the CWRU Financial Aid Office at 216-368-4530.

Since the tuition deadline is prior to the time when your benefits are submitted to the VA for processing, there will more than likely be a balance on your account. Depending upon when payment from the VA is received, it may result in a late fee appearing on your account. If you have been identified as receiving VA educational benefits, the Student Financial Services Office will remove applicable late fees once your benefits have been paid. If there is uncertainty as to whether you have been identified as receiving VA Educational Benefits, please contact the University Registrar's Office at

Transfer credit policies are not specific to Service members and apply to all students of the school to which the student attends.

For information on undergraduate transfer credit policies, please refer to the Study at Other Colleges and Transfer Credit section of the University General Bulletin. For information on graduate transfer credit policies, see Transfer of Credit.  For information on dental medicine transfer credit policies, see Transfer Credit. For information on management school transfer credit policies, see Transfers and Waivers. For information on the school of applied social sciences transfer credit policies, see Transfer. For information on other individual professional school transfer credit policies, please contact individual school registrars.

For information on undergraduate academic residency requirements, see General Requirements for all Bachelor's Degrees.
For information on graduate academic residency requirements, see Residency Requirement. For information on other individual graduate or professional school academic residency requirements, please contact individual school registrars.

Information on degree requirements for CWRU programs can be located in the General Bulletin.

Follow the links on the left for Undergraduate Academics; School of Graduate Studies; Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing; Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences; School of Dental Medicine; School of Law; School of Medicine; Weatherhead School of Management and select individual degree programs to learn more about specific degree requirements.

Service members are charged the same tuition rate as any other student attending CWRU.
Please see Undergraduate Cost of Attendance for more information. Please see Graduate Cost of Attendance for more information. Additional information about tuition and fees, can be obtained by contacting Student Financial Services.