The Advisory Council provides leadership to the Nourishing Power Network. The Advisory Council members bring a broad range of experiences and skillsets including:
- Communications and marketing
- Community organizing and network weaving
- Event planning
- Experiential education and technical assistance
- Food Entrepreneurship
- Grant-making and fundraising
- Nonprofit or small business management
- Policy Advocacy
These food justice leaders are from Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, East Cleveland, Euclid, Garfield Heights, Warrensville Heights, Maple Heights, Bedford, and Bedford Heights – the cities that are the focus of the Nourishing Power Network.
- Guide and co-lead the Nourishing Power Network to increase community ownership of local food justice initiatives and share lessons learned to sustain efforts.
- Share in decision making for all aspects of the Network and engage in planning, implementation, and adaptions of our approach.
- Create and sustain space for community-driven efforts that lead to a vibrant, engaged, and fair food system resulting in holistic health for people and communities.
The Advisory Council will test ways to improve food systems by:
- Co-create a space for relationship building & networking with people committed to translating their experiences into community action for food justice.
- Build capacity for policy & system changes to cultivate & sustain food systems that are equitable & fair.
- Develop & amplify stories to influence community ownership of food systems change.
- Make connections to accelerate professional advancement as a food justice leader.
- Advocate for resources and support to develop and expand nutrition equity zones across Cuyahoga County.
- Design & implement a funding mechanism for collaborative & creative food systems projects led by the community.
Spend about 6 hours/month guiding strategic actions of the Nourishing Power Network by:
Attending a 2 hour orientation meeting.
- Actively contributing to 8 Advisory Council meetings (bimonthly).
- 2024: February, March*, May, July*, September, November* and 2025: January, March*
- These occur on the 3rd Friday, 9-11:30am, in-person (*) or virtual. (Food will be provided for in-person meetings.)
- Participating in monthly Working Group meetings (1-2 meetings/month). The 15-month goals for the working groups include:
- Policy Action for Nutrition Equity Working Group: Establish 2 nutrition equity zones in Cuyahoga County by March 2025 as demonstration sites through policy action.
- Nutrition Equity Fund Working Group: Demonstrate the impact of the existing nutrition equity fund proof of concept and secure ongoing resources and infrastructure to adapt and sustain the fund beyond March 2025.
- Attending and/or facilitating professional development and team-building activities.
- Supporting, promoting, and attending Nourishing Power networking events (virtual and in person).
- Participating in interviews at the beginning, middle, and end of the experience to evaluate the Nourishing Neighborhoods Empowering Communities Study.
*** Please note: Those selected to serve on the Advisory Council will not be eligible to apply to the Nourishing Power Fellowship or Nutrition Equity Fund during their term on the Council.***
The schedule below provides an overview of full advisory council meetings for the 15 month term. The working groups of the advisory council will also meet monthly and schedule will be determined by the working group lead.
- December 2023 and January 2024 - Baseline Evaluation Interview*
- December 15th, 2023, 9-10am –*Optional* Meet and Greet with members of the current Advisory Council.
- February 2nd, 2024, 9-11:00 am - Orientation
- February 16th, 2024, 9:30am-12pm - Advisory Council Full Group Meeting 1 (via Zoom)
- March 15th, 2024 9:30-11:30am - Advisory Council Full Group Meeting 2 (In Person)
- May 17th, 2024, 9-11:30 am- Advisory Council Full Group Meeting 3 (via Zoom)
- July 19th, 2024, 9:00-11:30 am - Advisory Council Full Group Meeting 4 (In Person)
- August 2024- Mid Point Evaluation Interview*
- September 20th, 2024, 9:30-11:30 am - Advisory Council Full Group Meeting 5 (via Zoom)
- November 15th, 2024, 9:00-11:30 am - Advisory Council Full Meeting 6 (In Person)
- January 17th, 2025, 4, 9:30-11:30 am - Advisory Council Full Group Meeting 7 (via Zoom)
- March 21st, 2025, 9:00-11:30 am - Advisory Council Full Meeting 8 (In Person)
- March 15th, 2025 - April 28th, 2025 - Final Evaluation Interview*
*To be scheduled based on Advisory Council members' schedule with the evaluation team.
Contact us: email@example.com
This Advisory Council is part of the Nourishing Neighborhoods, Empowering Communities study conducted by Case Western Reserve University in partnership with Neighborhood Connections and The FARE Project.