International Travel

Emergency Medical and Evacuation Insurance

CWRU’s Office of Risk Management provides medical and evacuation insurance and assistance traveling on university-related business abroad, as well as to students traveling internationally as part of the their educational experience. Travelers must contact Risk Management for an insurance ID card to be eligible for these free medical and evacuation services.

International Risk Management Policy

An international risk management policy was introduced in January 2021 to promote an understanding of standardized risk management and registration procedures for those traveling abroad on CWRU business, research, and academic study. Visit the policy page for more information.


Registering Your Travel Plans

Faculty and staff planning international travel should visit the International Travel Registration page of the Center for International Affairs to register their international travel itineraries. Travelers should review destination-specific health information from the Center for Disease Control, as well as travel advisories issued by the U.S. Department of State.

Students considering CWRU-related international travel should review Students Traveling Abroad for applicable policies and procedures. 


Export Control

There are restrictions on the transport of laptops and other electronics when shipping or traveling abroad to certain countries. Visit the CWRU Export Control Office website before you go to ensure compliance with U.S. government regulations.



CIBT is CWRU's preferred vendor for visa processing for foreign travel. Use this link to access a variety of their services at a discount.


Traveler Health Clinics

Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals provide comprehensive consultation for the preparation and treatment of international travelers. The centers provide a comprehensive travel consultation prior to departure and expert diagnosis and treatment for those who return ill. 

International Traveler Health Clinics (Cleveland Clinic)

Roe Green Center for Travel Medicine (University Hospitals)