Gain world-class training in music, dance and theater under the tutelage of accomplished performers, teachers and scholars.
of music, theater and dance majors work with performing arts professionals
performing arts groups on campus
major undergraduate theater productions each year
major dance productions each year
largest performing arts district in the country outside NYC—Cleveland's Playhouse Square
Majors and minors
- Music Education
- Dramatic Writing
- General Theater
- Design/Technical Theater
Other arts-related programs
- Arts Education
- Art History
- Art Studio (minor)
One of the country’s oldest academic theater programs, our celebrated teachers and guest artists guide students toward successful theater careers from design to performance.
Experience stages around the world
In addition to training on campus, theater students engage in:
- Interact with professional theater companies—including Cleveland Play House, winner of a Regional Theater Tony Award
- Attend prestigious programs, such as the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art
With a focus on contemporary dance, our innovative program is on the forefront of integrating dance and technology.
Dancer Wellness Program
- In this three-part, internationally recognized program, all majors take kinesiology and participate in seminars on topics such as nutrition and injury prevention. They also complete an annual biomechanical screening, followed by an individual assessment with a physical therapist or qualified professional to customize a cross-training program.
Mather Dance Center
- All three studios offer state-of-the-art, triple-layer basket- weave sprung dance floors and lots of natural light. The Baroque Dance Ensemble holds classes here, and one studio transforms into an informal theater space where the Mather Dance Collective—a modern dance club—performs.
Working with the world-renowned scholars and performers at CWRU and faculty at the nearby Cleveland Institute of Music, students achieve a high level of musical skill and knowledge. In our highly respected music education program, students pursue a fully accredited curriculum leading to teaching licensure.
Joint Music Program with the Cleveland Institute of Music (CIM)
- Case Western Reserve’s one-of-a-kind Joint Music Program with the Cleveland Institute of Music opens the door to top-tier conservatory training for students. Blending the resources of a top research university and a leading conservatory, students take lessons, studio instruction, chamber music classes and theory courses at CIM, while participating in large ensembles, music history, music education and general education at CWRU.
Iconic performance space
CWRU’S Milton and Tamar Maltz Performing Arts Center (pictured above) is unrivaled in its historical grandeur and modern, high-tech amenities. It is a performer’s dream, packed with technologically advanced equipment in unparalleled spaces.
- Silver Hall seats 1,200 people and showcases the talents of CWRU’s music students and ensembles
- Theater students train in the 250-seat Roe Green Theatre, using the latest lighting and sound equipment and advanced scene and costume shops
Arts in our area
Interact and perform with elite organizations in world-class facilities.
Cleveland’s artistic community is vast, celebrated and collaborative. Case Western Reserve performing arts students benefit from partnerships with these creative entities.
In our University Circle neighborhood
- Considered one of the most beautiful concert venues in the country and home to the Cleveland Orchestra, one of the nation’s best
The Music Settlement
- Century-old community music school with instruction, music therapy programs, community education programs and resident ensembles
Cleveland Institute of Art
- Students work on sets and video components for performances
- Resident companies include Cleveland Ballet, Cleveland Play House, DANCECleveland, Great Lakes Theater and Tri-C JazzFest
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Provides opportunities for students to bridge popular culture and academic study
- One of the resident companies of Playhouse Square, offers master classes with visiting artists or dance companies
Cleveland Play House
- The country’s first regional professional theater company, now with three state-of-the-art venues in Playhouse Square
Each Case Western Reserve University student brings their own background and interests to our campus, creating a culture that’s dynamic, diverse and inclusive.
Clubs and organizations for performing arts students
With clubs and organizations ranging from Acts of Random Kindness to Scuba Club, and dozens more, you’ll find all kinds of ways to pursue your academic goals and personal passions.
A few to check out
- Case In Point (co-ed a cappella group)
- Case Men’s Glee Club (dates back to 1897)
- Dhamakapella (South Asian fusion a capella group)
- Nadaam (Indian classical music)
- Pep Band (promotes school spirit)
- Solstice (a cappella group)
- CWRU Footlighters (fall and spring musicals)
- IMPROVment (student improv group)
- Players’ Theater Group (student-run theater group)
- Case CobRAAS (traditional Indian dance)
- Case Kismat Fusion Dance Team (dance with video, dialogue and props)
- Cheza Nzuri Dance Team (African dance)
- Dancaholic (street dance)
- Nritya Dance Team (competitive classical dance)
- Salsa Dance Club (weekly lessons)
- Spartan Bhangra (Indian folk dance)
- Spartan Tappers (two tap lessons each week)
- Swing Dance Club (swing lessons throughout the year)
- Urban Elementz (hip hop dance)