For the past two years, RHA, the LGBT Center, Residence Life and University Housing have been designing Gender Inclusive Housing options for students. After a successful pilot program with first year students and returning students, we are implementing the following approach for upper-class students.
Gender Inclusive Housing allows transgender students, students exploring gender identity, non-binary, gender non-conforming students and their allies to live together in the residence halls.
Rising upper-class students can live in apartments ranging in size from 2 - 9 bedroom apartments. Second-year and upper-class students who wish to live together in Gender Inclusive Housing will be able to choose a suite in Staley or Tippit House.
You do not need a complete group to submit a group application for Gender Inclusive Housing. We will work with smaller group of students to match roommates. The LGBT Center will host a Gender Inclusive Housing information session/roommate mixer on Tuesday, March 1 from 12:00 - 1 p.m. in the LGBT Center, to learn more about the process, meet potential roommates, and have your questions answered.
This process requires that you give your application number and authorization code to another individual. By doing so, you are allowing this person to act on your behalf in the room selection process. This person's actions will be binding. If a room is chosen for you, you will not be able to change it. Please be sure this person thoroughly understands your preferences.
OPEN ROOMS IN GENDER INCLUSIVE HOUSING
If an opening occurs in your apartment, the space may be filled in one of two ways:
- The remaining residents may request for a friend to move into the apartment
- The space may be filled by an applicant who wishes to live in gender inclusive housing
TO ORGANIZE A GROUP FOR GENDER INCLUSIVE HOUSING:
- Complete a housing application and update your lifestyle preferences to indicate Gender Inclusive Housing. Choose "Upper-class Experience" as your program by Monday, March 14, 2016
- Have your roommates complete their housing application
- Record you and your roommates' application numbers and authorization codes onto the online group application form for Gender Inclusive Housing
- Submit the group application online by Monday, March 14, 2016. You may begin submitting the application 48 hours before the deadline
- The Office of University Housing will discuss your housing placement preference with you, but final placement will be made by University Housing. You will be notified when you can go online to complete the bedroom assignments for your group.
TO PARTICIPATE IN A GROUP FOR GENDER INCLUSIVE HOUSING:
- Complete a housing application and update your lifestyle preferences to indicate Gender Inclusive Housing. Choose "Second-Year Experience" as your program by Monday, March 14, 2016
- Give your application number and authorization code to the organizer of your group before the group application deadline indicated above for the size of your group. Only your group organizer will have access to the online room selection system