To have your organization included in the LGBT Center’s resources directory submit a paragraph describing the organization and services or resources it provides. LGBT Center staff will review submissions for relevance.
For information or submission, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following conversation groups for social support are facilitated at the CWRU LGBT Center: Gender Resistance, Coming Out, Found Families, LGBT D&D
Updating Systems Information
- Preferred Name, Gender Identity, and Personal Pronouns Update
- Legal Name Update
- Changing Default Email Address
- Adding Alternate Email Aliases
- Changing Case ID Card - Please email the LGBT Center Staff at email@example.com to then work with Access Services
- Update Gender Marker Policy & Form
Learn more about Gender Inclusive Housing options at CWRU.
Name Change Resources
- TransOhio Legal Clinics for Name & Gender Marker Changes
- Name Change Guide for Ohio Residents
- Getting a Court Order for a Name Change
- Cuyahoga County Name Change Application
- ID Documents Center, National Center for Transgender Equality
A crisis line for transgender people currently in need of support and assistance.
Trans Lifeline - 877.565.8860
This helpline is staffed by transgender people for transgender people, and is supported by donors.
Name change funding is available through microgrants on a monthly basis, visit translifeline.org/microgrants.
Gender affirmation care is covered by Aetna for students. Please contact the LGBT Center with questions or concerns about navigating insurance policies.
- Aetna Student Health Benefits Summary
- Medical Coverage
- Aetna Gender Affirmation Care Information
- Call 1.877.850.6038 for Aetna Student Health Pre-approval
Gender affirmation care is covered by MMO SuperMed, Anthem, and CLE-Care HMO insurances. Please find coverage information in the Certificate of Coverage for MMOSuperMed. For detailed coverage information for Anthem and CLE-Care HMO, contact the provider directly. Please contact the LGBT Center with questions or concerns about navigating insurance policies.
Anthem (HD & PPO) - 1.800.552.9159
- Medical Mutual SuperMed - 1.800.822.1152
- CLE-Care HMO - 1.877.330.6664
LGBT Pride Clinic at the Thomas F. McCafferty Health Center
MetroHealth's Pride Clinic at the McCafferty Health Center is the first clinic in the region and one of only 12 health centers in the country devoted to serving the health needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community.
Cleveland Clinic’s Center for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Care opened at the Chagrin Falls Family Health Center and Lakewood Family Health Center. Embedded in a primary care practice, the center provides care for all patients in a safe and welcoming environment. It includes providers who understand the health needs of LGBT patients, and access to specialists with expertise in LGBT care.
James Hekman, MD specializes in LGBT health and co-chairs Cleveland Clinic’s Gay and Lesbian Employee Resource Group. Dr. Hekman helped design the center and has moved his internal medicine practice to Lakewood.
To make things a bit easier, Hims researched and compiled their own guide to trans-friendly clinics across the United States by region.
The AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland provides a compassionate and collaborative response to the needs of people infected, affected by, and at risk of HIV/AIDS. This is accomplished through leadership in prevention, education, supportive services, and advocacy. 3210 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, 44115. Call 216.621.0766.
Learn more about the work of the CRCC. The CRCC's 24-Hour Hotline number is 216.619.6192.
Circle Health (formerly the Free Clinic)
The Cleveland Free Clinic is a free-standing outpatient medical, dental, and mental health center dedicated to the belief that healthcare is a right and not a privilege. 12201 Euclid Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, 44106; 216.721.4010.
Gender affirmation care is provided by Aetna. Transgender Benefits, In-Network: 80% of eligible charges are paid for by The Plan, the remaining 20% of charges are the responsibility of the student. There is no cost limit to surgeries per Plan year. Hormone Therapy is covered under the prescription benefit.
Gender affrimation care is provided by MMO Supermed, Anthem, and CLE-Care HMO for employees. Please contact your provider for detailed coverage information.
- Anthem (HD & PPO) – 1.800.552.9159
- Medical Mutual SuperMed – 1.800.822.1152
- CLE-Care HMO – 1.877.330.6664
TransFamily of Cleveland was founded to provide support and education for transgender persons, their families, friends, and significant others. We are associated with PFLAG to promote awareness of transgender persons and their issues. The TransFamily support group meets the Second Saturday of every month 11AM-1:30PM at the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland.
The Beyond Binaries discussion group meets every 1st and 3rd Saturday, 10:30AM-12PM at the LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland. This group is led by community members and is open to anyone 18+ (including, but not limited to genderqueer, queer, gender non-conforming, non-binary, bigender, agender, transgender, etc.). For more information, contact the LGBT Center at 216.651.5428 or the group facilitators at www.facebook.com/beyond.binaries.cle.
Weekly youth programming (14-24 years old)
MetroHealth Pride Clinic
“The MetroHealth Pride Clinic is the first in the region devoted to serving the health needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. With specially trained physicians and support staff and an open and honest environment, we provide care that respects your unique health needs.”
Note: MetroHealth will ask for a legal name before they will enter a preferred name to make an appointment. Appointments are often only available months in advance
- Trans Justice Funding Project
- A community-led funding initiative to support trans justice groups run by and for trans people
- Trans 101 from Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- A basic primer about transgender people and identities
- Transgender Rights Toolkit for College Students
- A legal guide for trans people and their advocates
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER)
- Links to educational, medical, legal, and informational resources and services.
- Information about trans health, including transition-related care as well as general healthcare.
- Trans Women of Color Collective
- "Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) is a national organizing collective led by trans women of color created to uplift the narratives, leadership, and lived experience of trans folks of color. Historically, we have been the catalyst of change for social justice movements. TWOCC works to empower our community and allies to create and sustain revolutionary change!"
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project
- "The Sylvia Rivera Law Project works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence."
- Transgender Law and Policy Institute
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force - Transgender Issues
- International Foundation for Gender Education
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- TG Forum
- The Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender, and Reproduction
- National Coalition for LGBT Health
- Healthy Bodies, Safer Sex
- A comprehensive guide to safer sex, relationships, and reproductive health for trans or non-binary people and their partners.