United for Change
The Case Western Reserve University campus is ripe with experts who focus on the theory and practice of bringing about societal change. Through partnerships with proponents from a variety of backgrounds, the Social Justice Institute brings together educators, researchers and innovators who combine their skills to devise multifaceted solutions to complex issues.
Several areas of the university already house initiatives that help advance social justice:
- The College of Arts and Sciences has faculty based in numerous departments who research, teach, investigate and expose injustice locally, nationally and internationally.
- Faculty in the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, the School of Medicine and the School of Dental Medicine conduct research on health disparities and offer clinical experiences that provide opportunities for intervention.
- The Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences incorporates social justice in its mission statement and names it as a critical learning outcome for students in its professional programs.
- The Weatherhead School of Management is home to the Fowler Center for Business as an Agent of World Benefit, which advances appreciative inquiry and sustainable value as core concepts.
- Law students prepare for public interest work during their studies at The Kramer Law Clinic Center, working on real-world cases in involving issues of criminal justice, human rights, civil rights and human trafficking.
In addition to the emphasis individual schools place on questions of social equality, the university is home to several interdisciplinary centers that focus on specific social issues. By strategically combining the knowledge and talents of scholars in these diverse—yet interconnected—specialties, the Social Justice Institute capitalizes on the vast resources of Case Western Reserve's world-class faculty. Among them are:
- Baker-Nord Center for the Humanities
- Center for Civic Engagement and Learning
- Center for Community Partnerships
- Center on Urban Poverty & Community Development
- Ethnic Studies Program
- The Flora Stone Mather Center for Women
- Inamori International Center for Ethics and Excellence
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center
- Office of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equal Opportunity
- Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Schubert Center for Childhood Studies
- Women and Gender Studies Program
We are fortunate to live in a community where social justice organizations and other collaborators take an active role in supporting our efforts, co-sponsoring our events and providing speakers, venues and other assistance. Our current and past partners include:
- ACLU Ohio
- African American Society
- Amnesty International
- Ba'hai Communities of Greater Cleveland
- Church of the Covenant
- Cleveland Neighborhood Progress
- Cuyahoga County Office of Reentry
- Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio
- Environmental Health Watch
- Facing History and Ourselves
- The Fund for Our Economic Future
- HOLA Ohio
- ideastream - WCPN/WVIZ/WCLV
- InterReligious Task Force on Central America
- Kent State University Department of Pan-African Studies
- KeyBank Foundation
- LGBT Center of Greater Cleveland
- Neighborhood Connections
- Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence
- Olivet Institutional Baptist Church
- Rid-All Green Partnership
- Saint Luke's Foundation
- The Fixers
- The Sisters of Charity Foundation
- and many more...
To learn more about social justice initiatives at Case Western Reserve University and how you or your organization can become involved, contact the Social Justice Institute at 216.368.7568 or firstname.lastname@example.org.