The university is excited to roll out the Explore program, a component of our new Unified General Education Requirements (UGER). Over the course of your first year, Explore gives you a structure to learn about the vast range of experiences and opportunities available to you as a CWRU student while connecting you more closely to the larger Case Western Reserve community.
These programs fall into one of three areas:
• Academics: These are events offered by schools, departments and academic programs to showcase the work of various disciplines, curricular entry points for interested students, and pathways towards majors or minors. Events will often involve meeting faculty or current students and will allow you to learn more about programs you might consider pursuing.
• University Resources: These are events offered by our many offices that support students. From career planning to study abroad to mental health resources to civic engagement, these programs will help you learn about ways to supplement your academic journey.
• Student Activities and Cultural Institutions: These are events that cultivate your extracurricular lives, and include programs offered by various student clubs and organizations as well as an ever-growing list of off-campus experiences. These experiences include special visits to our many neighboring institutions in University Circle, the City of Cleveland and beyond.
To satisfy the UGER requirements of Explore, students are expected to attend:
- at least two events by the end of the sixth week of the fall semester (Oct. 6);
- a total of at least four by the end of the twelfth week of the fall semester (Nov. 17); &
- a total of at least six by the end of the sixth week of the spring semester (Feb. 23).
Attend at least one program in each of the three areas described above. You can absolutely attend as many programs as you'd like; six is just the bare minimum! Every week will be packed with events so you should have no trouble finding ones that interest you.
To confirm your participation in an event, you'll quickly check in by scanning a QR code on your mobile device; afterward, you'll fill out a very brief survey/reflection about your experience.
To find Explore programs, log in to CampusGroups on your computer, or on the CampusGroups mobile app for iOS or Android, and search for (or link directly to) "Explore." To view these events in a calendar view on the web, you can also click on "Events" at the top of the page and then filter for "Explore." Just adjust the calendar to the week you are looking for to see a full display of upcoming programs. Events with capped attendances may require RSVPs; others will be open to any student who shows up.
Enjoy your explorations!