Admission Requirements for the Public Health Nutrition MS Program
To be considered for acceptance, candidates must:
- Hold or be in the process of completing a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from a US regionally-accredited college or university.* Overall grade point average must be at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Have completed one semester of general chemistry and lab, organic chemistry and lab, and biology before applying to the program. Additional required courses include one semester of statistics, anatomy and physiology, and biochemistry, but students may take these courses during their graduate program of study. The above courses are required and do not count towards the required 30 credits to graduate.
- Complete an application for admission including the online application, 3 letters of recommendation, official transcripts, personal statement and application fee.
- Include a standardized English proficiency test score, such as a TOEFL if the applicant's first language is not English. The University requires a TOEFL score of at least 90. More information on English proficiency requirements is available here.
*Foreign degrees must be evaluated by an independent agency to validate the foreign degree is equivalent to at least a bachelor's degree conferred by a US regionally-accredited college or university. The summary section of the evaluation report must state "from a regionally accredited institution."
Applicants will be evaluated based on their:
- Communication Skills: Well written personal statement; evidence of experience communicating with groups and individuals; empathy; and self-confidence.
- Leadership: Positions of leadership in extracurricular activities or work experiences; ability to set goals, take initiative, make decisions, use good judgment, and work independently. Previous and future goals are realistic and clearly identified in personal statement.
- Academic Preparation: Rigor of coursework; GPA; recipient of scholarships, awards and honors.
- Work Experience: Paid or voluntary work experience in a variety of areas. Positions are of high quality and demonstrate responsibility.