The Department of Nutrition at Case Western Reserve University is accepting mentor applications from CWRU faculty and Cleveland-area nutrition researchers to the 2023 Michael Wharton Fellowship Undergraduate Summer Research program. The research project can be based on an existing grant or can be a proposal for a pilot funding of a new research project, but it must have a clear plan for the engagement in the project of undergraduate students majoring in Nutrition or Nutritional Biochemistry & Metabolism at CWRU during a paid summer position. It must be primary research (no literature reviews).
Mentor Eligibility and Applications
- Applications from nutrition researchers based at CWRU and in the greater Cleveland community will be considered for a summer 2023 Wharton award.
- Eligible Wharton mentors will:
- Have an existing research program that will support meaningful student involvement.
- Be in the Cleveland area and fully available for the duration of the program.
- Have funds available to support any expenses beyond the approved budget (documentation required).
- Interested mentors must submit the Mentor Proposal Form by December 9, 2022 via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals must include:
- Detailed budget
- Project budget request (excluding student stipend), cannot exceed $2,000 for CWRU Nutrition primary faculty and $1,000 for external mentors.
- Projects submitted without a clearly explained budget will not be considered.
- Project timeline
- Measurable student learning outcomes
- Mentors who do not have a primary appointment in the CWRU Department of Nutrition must also provide a statement explaining the project’s connection to nutrition.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Wharton selection committee beginning on December 9, 2022. Funded projects will be announced by December 20, 2022.
- Preference will be given to faculty with primary appointments in the CWRU Department of Nutrition.
- Total monies available will vary according to our budget availability but we anticipate funding approximately 6 projects.
- Mentors may only receive one Wharton project/student per summer as assigned by the Wharton selection committee.