Campus Security Authority

Who is a Campus Security Authority (CSA)?

“CSA" is a Clery Act-specific term that encompasses certain departments, groups and individual university employees who have a duty to report crimes they become aware of, as defined by the Clery Act.

The law defines a CSA as "an official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings."

Examples of CSAs include, but are not limited to:

  • Members of police and security departments
  • Deans and directors
  • Title IX coordinators
  • Office of Student Conduct staff
  • Athletic team coaches
  • University housing staff
  • Faculty and staff advisors to student organizations
  • Study abroad faculty and staff
  • Greek life advisors

CSAs may also be identified by job function; that is, any employee who, by virtue of their job function, has significant responsibility for assisting students or campus activities. Examples would be student advisors or formal or informal student mentors.

The Role of CSAs

CSAs should NOT investigate crimes or attempt to determine whether a crime occurred. Rather, a CSA's obligation is to simply report the information as soon as possible.

If you are unsure a crime is reportable, please err on the side of caution and notify the Division of Public Safety immediately. A crime is considered "reportable" when it is brought to your attention. Third-party reports of crimes are Clery-reportable.

For more information on CSAs, refer to Campus Security Authority (CSA) FAQs.

Training for CSAs

University individuals who are CSAs will be notified annually of their role as a CSA and directed to take mandatory CSA training, which is made available on Canvas.