How to Report

What to Do in Serious Situations

When you or another member of the campus community feels your safety is in danger, it’s critical you act quickly, whether the situation is a critical emergency or a serious but not yet dangerous situation.

In an Emergency

Contact Case Western Reserve University Police at 216.368.3333.

  • Alert a communications officer that you are calling about a violent or threatening situation.

  • Do not attempt to intervene or act alone.

  • Identify yourself and your location, and answer the communication officer’s questions, such as the identity of the individual(s) involved and his/her physical descriptions.

  • Ask the communications officer exactly what you should do to ensure your safety and that of those around you.

In a Serious but Non-emergency Situation

Seek advice and assistance from resources on campus.

  • Report the concern to any person at Case Western Reserve in a leadership role (e.g. your resident assistant, University Counseling Services, faculty or staff, police or security)

  • Send an anonymous tip through the Spartan Safe app.

  • Submit them to a Campus Concerns Committee or report them to the appropriate divisional leader or university authority.

  • When in doubt, contact the CWRU communications center's non-emergency number at 216.368.3300, and the communications officers will guide you through the situation.

Campus Concerns Committees

To address potentially dangerous threats or behaviors from members of the campus community, Case Western Reserve has created Campus Concerns Committees for both urgent and non-urgent situations.

For urgent (non-emergency) concerns: The Threat Assessment and Behavioral Intervention Team (TABIT) evaluates potentially worrisome situations. If the committee concludes a threat to the campus exists, TABIT members will act in accordance with university policy.

Sponsored by the Office of the Provost, TABIT generally convenes at the request of a Campus Consultation Resource representative. When notified of a perceived threat or dangerous behavior, the representative will consult with TABIT members to determine if a TABIT meeting should be convened and/or if a Campus Concerns Committee should be notified. On occasion, TABIT may convene by a direct request of any member of the university community.

Once convened, TABIT conducts a coordinated investigation using existing campus resources as it assesses whether a threat exists; the degree of risk involved; and the action steps required to mitigate potential harm from occurring on our campus.

To activate TABIT, contact the Office of the Provost at 216.368.4389.

Any university community member who is concerned about a situation may activate the team for a meeting. To request an urgent assessment, contact one of the following:

  • Office of the Provost—216.368.4389
  • Human Resources—216.368.6964
  • Office of Student Affairs—216.368.2020

For non-urgent concerns:

  • About undergraduate students: The Undergraduate Students of Concern (U-SOC) committee includes employees from Undergraduate Studies and Student Affairs who meet weekly during the academic year regarding students considered at risk. If you are concerned about an undergraduate, contact one of the following:

    • Undergraduate Studies—216.368.2928
    • Office of Student Affairs—216.368.2020
    • Housing and Residence Life/Greek Life—216.368.3780
  • About graduate/professional students: The Graduate and Professional School Students of Concern (GP-SOC) committee brings together staff members from graduate and professional schools across campus to meet as needed during the academic year. To express concerns about a student, contact the specific school or Graduate Studies—216.368.4390

  • About employees: If you are an employee concerned about potentially violent behavior of staff or faculty, contact your supervisor, or report the concerns to the appropriate divisional leader or university authority.