Picnic areas are available for use mid-April to mid-October, Monday - Saturday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (No Sunday events.)
Based on the University calendar, certain dates are considered unavailable for reservation. Those dates are as follows:
- Any Scheduled University Holiday
- Any day that immediately precedes or follows a scheduled University Holiday
One picnic area can be reserved:
- Area #1 (the Pavilion) - Currently the only large pavilion at the Farm
Picnic Area #1 (Pavilion)
Area #1 is a covered pavilion with ten 8-foot picnic tables and a large charcoal grill (charcoal not provided), located next to the "Skating Pond" (now a CWRU Biology Department amphibian research area).
CWRU & Affiliated Organizations, Educational Use
$250.00 per day. Max capacity: 100 guests.
Small Private/Family Picnics
(CWRU Faculty/Staff/Student/Alumni Only)
$75.00 per day. Max permitted attendance: 50 guests.
No recreational activities are available in this area of the Farm.
There is a gravel lot for 30 cars off the gravel road, to the west of the pavilion. Two designated parking spots are located in front of Area #1 for unloading and handicap parking only. All other vehicles must park at the designated lot or the main parking lot. No parking on grass at or near the shelter. These areas are located behind a locked gate and accessible to vehicles for reserved groups only.
Two portable toilets (one is handicap accessible) are located at Picnic Area #1. Indoor restrooms (with showers) are located in the Silo near the Pink Pig and Main Farmhouse building.
Small Picnic Area #2 (Pine Grove)
Located further along the gravel road north of Area #1 and situated in a small grove of pine trees, Area #2 is free for use and available on a first-come, first-serve basis for up to 20 people. Reservations are not required. This sheltered site has two 8-foot picnic tables and a small charcoal grill (charcoal not provided). Parking is prohibited on the gravel road so please be prepared to park in the main lot by the greenhouse when using Area #2 and hike in. There are no restroom facilities at Area #2.
Cancellations, Other Fees & Picnic Policies
- $75 Cancellation Fee for cancellation of reservations less than 14 days prior to event. The full fee will be charged for cancellations within 72 hours of event.
- $150 MINIMUM WILL BE CHARGED for any damage to the facility/picnic area. Additional charges my apply.
- $50 per hour excessive cleaning fee, if required.
- $50 Change Date Fee for date changes made to reservation after signing and returning reservation form and event confirmation is completed
- Tents, inflatables, recreational rental equipment are not permitted at any of the picnic sites.
- No open flame is permitted except in designated grills.
- All dogs on Farm property must be leashed at all times.
- Please view the picnic area usage guidelines and farm alcohol policy prior to making reservations. All events with alcohol served MUST use a CWRU-preferred caterer to procure and serve. Alcohol is prohibited at private picnics and student group events.
- All ponds and restricted research areas are off limits to picnic guests.
- For more information on picnics at the University Farm, please email email@example.com or call the Farm Office at 216.368.0274.